Chapter 21

"I only ever thought that there were two kinds of loves: the kind that you would kill for, and the kind that you would die for. But you, my darling, you were the kind of love that I would live for." -o.j.k

------------------> "WHAT ARE HORCRUXES?" Rose asked after breakfast the next morning as she looked up from Draco's old fifth-year transfiguration book that she had been reading

Marvolo paused from where he was signing important documents. "What?"

"Horcruxes," Rose repeated. "Nagini let it slip that the two of us were something called Horcruxes. Is it like a species or something? Perhaps a type of disease?"

Marvolo stayed silent.

"I know you won't lie to me." Rose continued. "I mean, you withhold information or give me half-facts, but I don't think that you have ever lied to me. Please don't start now."

"You'll see me differently," Marvolo admitted. "Your definition of me will surely change."

Rose shrugged. "I don't have a definition of you in my mind, Marvolo. I believe we are defined by nothing. After all, a definition excludes the possibility of change. Now, what does a Horcrux mean exactly? I checked in a few books, but I have had no luck so far and I am too lazy to check the rest. Sometimes, it is better to go directly to the source."

She was right in a way. He wouldn't lie to her about her being a Horcrux. It was better for her to find out about that from him sooner than by someone else (Dumbledore) later.

"Are you sure you want to know about this?" He asked her once again to confirm.

Rose rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't be asking you if I didn't want to."

"Fair enough," Marvolo accepted. "Bluntly speaking, a Horcrux is a way to secure immortality."

Rose raised an eyebrow at that statement, but her eyes were glittering with curiosity- Not the kind of curiosity that he had had when he initially stumbled upon that word, but a genuine curiosity, like one gets when they receive a present and wants to know what's inside.

"Oh," Rose said casually. "How so?"

Marvolo smirked. "Murder."

Rose's eyes widened at his answer. "Murder?"

"Murder," Marvolo repeated. "To create a Horcrux, a wizard first had to deliberately commit murder. This act, said to be the 'most supreme act of evil', would result in the murderer metaphysically damaging their own soul. A wizard who wished to create a Horcrux would then use that damage to their advantage by casting which would rip the damaged portion of the soul and encase it in an object. If the maker was later killed, he or she would continue to exist in a non-corporeal form, although there were methods of regaining a physical body."

"A Horcrux," Marvolo continued in his 'professor' voice. "A Horcrux is the word used for an object in which a person has concealed part of their soul... Well, you split your soul, you see, and hide part of it in an object outside the body. Then, even if one's body is attacked or destroyed, one cannot die, for part of the soul remains earthbound and undamaged."