( nights of terror )

Chapter 8

"Finished." Nevaeh stated and closed her book with a loud thud. Harry looked at her with wide eyes and sighed "How'd you do that? I've barely gotten through the first chapter."

"I could help you, if you'd like? I already know most of this because I learned it last year at the Durmstrang Institute."

"If you don't mind." Harry mumbled. Nevaeh shook her head and moved from the chair over to sit next to him on the couch. She began explaining the basics and Harry listened carefully even though he had many other things to think about. But Nevaeh explained it in a way that actually made it sound interesting.

Hermione and Ron entered the common room and joined the other two by the fireplace. Hermione plopped on the couch whilst Ron sat on the chair. Nevaeh shared a nervous smilingly look with Ron before continuing her explanation.

"What's wrong with your hand?" asked Hermione as her eyes fell on the scars on Harry's left hand. "You've got to tell Dumbledore."

Nevaeh was unsure what she referred to and leaned closer to see for herself. It didn't take a smart person to know how he got the scars. It seemed like words had been carved into the top of his hand.

"No, Dumbledore's got enough on his mind right now. Anyways, I don't want to give Umbridge the satisfaction."

"Bloody hell, Harry, the woman's torturing you." Ron said, leaning closer. "If parents knew about this."

"Yeah, well I don't have any of those, have I?" Harry snapped back in frustration.

"Harry, you've got to report this, it's perfectly simple—"

"No, it's not. Hermione, this is not simple. You don't understand." Harry gathered his books.

"Then help us to." But Hermione was ignored and Harry left abruptly. Hermione and Ron shared a confused look. Nevaeh was skeptical herself but didn't feel like she was in a place to handle the situation.

But she knew one thing, she hated Umbridge.

She went to bed that night and woke up sweating and crying like many other nights. Eventually she even considered not going to sleep at all. This went on for the next few weeks. She barely got any sleep but tried to distract herself by spending time with her friends.

She sat in the common room, swallowed by an interesting book about transfiguration. She sat on the floor, close to the fire to keep herself warm. Around her people were complaining about Umbridge her new set of rules and ways of handling things. She was now way more than a simple teacher, it felt like she had the entire school underneath her thumb.

"Nev, can you help me with some studying?" Ron asked, Nevaeh snapped out of her thoughts and looked up at the tall redhead. She perked up at the sound of his voice and patted on the floor to have him sit down next to her.

"Merlin's beard, how did you get him to study?" Ginny asked, looking shocked. Ron rolled his eyes and waved his sister off. Nevaeh grinned and playfully pushed his shoulder. "You're going to regret asking me, Weasley. We're not going anywhere until you're prepared properly."

Ron exhaled dramatically but he didn't mind, he enjoyed spending time with her and the feeling was mutual. So, Nevaeh explained everything he needed to know about transfiguration. Meanwhile the common room was getting emptier and emptier. By the time it was completely empty it was past midnight.

Nevaeh yawned and rolled her shoulders, the dark circles underneath her eyes gave away of how tired she was. Ron looked up from his book and closed it with a thud.

"Alright, you need to sleep."

"No, we're not done."

"Nev, we can do it tomorrow. You have to get some sleep at least."

Nevaeh shook her head and said "I don't want to— I mean I don't need to sleep."

"What do you mean you don't want to? Do you still have those nightmares?" Ron asked, concern laced in his eyes. Nevaeh sighed and scrambled to her feet.

"Never mind, just forget about it." she mumbled and turned to walk away when Ron jumped up and grabbed her arm to make her face him. She did and sighed looking up into his blue eyes. He still held her arm and in a way it calmed her and she felt like she could tell him.

"I just don't want to sleep."

"Because of the nightmares?" Ron asked, his voice deep. She merely nodded but never looked away from his eyes.

"Ok." was all Ron said and pulled her onto the couch. He opened his book again and signed her to do the same. Nevaeh furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"We'll keep studying until you fall asleep."

"Ron—"

"Go on then, study." he ordered and started reading himself. Nevaeh grinned to herself and obeyed, leaning back against the couch. Ron glanced at the tired yet stunning looking brunette.

He had many questions wandering through his mind but didn't want to push her into telling him something she didn't want. It had to be her to feel comfortable enough to tell him.

They studied for a few more hours until Nevaeh silently fell into a deep sleep. Her head rested on Ron's thigh and he had to admit he felt nervous about it. Never had he felt like this about a girl and man did he like it. It was clear as day the two had an unspoken connection. Ron watched as Nevaeh peacefully slept and her chest moved up and down in the rhythm of her breathing.

He was close to falling asleep himself when suddenly he heard the girl mumbling some indistinctive words. She started moving and her cheeks began firing up. Her words turned into quiet cries and the tears rolled down her cheeks.

Ron slightly shook her arm to wake her up but she didn't and continued to cry harder.

"Nev? Nevaeh?" and finally the girl woke up gasping for air and jumping off the couch. She breathed heavily and rested her hands on her thighs. For a second the surroundings confused her until she saw Ron. She sighed in relief and wiped the tears from her cheeks.

He grabbed her hand in a gentle manner and pulled her to sit next to him. There was no going around it, she had to tell whatever was haunting her and she finally felt comfortable enough to do so.