3

Lumi watched the snow fall

It was cold.

She had slept awful last night. She tried to start the fire within her room, but it never managed to catch, and she did not have enough wood to maintain it. No one did come to her with food, but she chose to ignore that. She had not been expecting a welcoming treatment. She laughed at some points, out loud and alone, when she thought of the bewilderment the King might be feeling.

To suddenly be in possession of a person!

Lumi shook her head, something close to the sorrow she had been pushing off, now creeping in.

She was no longer a princess.

She had cast that title off.

She was just a girl now. Just Lumi. She held no power, no title, no land, and no support.

She was alone.

Lumi rose to her feet, going back to her usual post of staring out the window. There was a large possibility that the King had quite honestly forgotten about her.

She wondered if she could escape and find the kitchen. Her eyes traveled to her skin and clothes.

Her appearance stood out so much here.

Everyone within this land seemed to match the snow. They were pure and white and seemed almost like angels. Lumi felt like darkness. She seemed like a shadow now, unseen unless you looked closely and took the time to notice. Even the traditional dress of the summer lands looked odd, in its bright colors and large adornments that she wore. The metal against her skin did not help in providing warmth.

"Food isn't coming..." she glanced at the door that led to the hallway.

"Daddy isn't coming..."

There was a long sigh before Lumi stepped forward and grabbed the door handle. "You can do this..." she smiled at her lack of confidence.

"Just...maybe find some bread...and a blanket...and some wood...." she laughed at her growing list.

Quietly she opened the door, peering out.

She should have felt insulted that there had been no guard posted. But at the same time, instant relief washed over her.

"Oh!" she turned back and took her pillow, stuffing it under the only blanket she had, and inspecting her work.

She shrugged and turned back to exit the room.

The hallway was silent. Lumi closed her eyes and envisioned the route the guard had taken. She had marked each corner carefully, taking note of all the lefts and rights. He had been too distracted by her to even try and make the path more complicated.

With silent steps, she retraced the ones from yesterday.

She had observed it then, but she still noted now how eerily quiet the castle seemed to be. The chill spread to this area, where there were no sounds of life. Within the summer palace, it seemed that every place, every hall, was filled with warmth and acceptance.