37

The palace became alive with the arrival of the guests of the King and Queen. The workers felt very stressed about the extra load that was suddenly on their shoulders. The palace never hosted formal events for the Kingdom, and if it was done so, the scale was kept to a minimum.

This, however, exceeded even what Josiah had in mind.

Over fifty men and women around his county in the next few months came. He had no idea how Lumi had even heard of them or how she had managed to make contact with them. Ramus was sworn to secrecy by his Queen to not tell his King that she had been searching for these minds since they arrived from the Winter Kingdom.

Now they were here, confused and together.

She had ordered the workers to set up work stations for each person, with long tables in the center of the room. At the top of the room, were chairs and a station for Josiah and herself. She refused to tell him the detail that the idea had been stolen from the Winter King and how he handled his taxes when they were collected.

She had watched and observed it- taking in how Theros had managed the chaos and each male that was within the room.

She adopted the model now, nodding in satisfaction when she looked around and turned to the doors.

"Let them in," she said.

Josiah stood beside her, but at the command, he felt her hand on his elbow. He looked down to see her smiling up at him.

"This is as far as my role goes."

He shook his head, "this was your idea. You should want to tell them when they come."

She sighed and watched as the first few of the many walked in. 

"No...I know enough about power to know that I can talk until my face goes blue. But it won't make a difference - you are their King. I am content to be in the background, Josiah. The work that I do is something that will benefit the Kingdom and help you. I'm not bitter about it. That's my duty as a Queen after all."

"What is your duty," he murmured, his head leaning down to brush his lips to hers.

She looked startled at the open display of affection, before smiling and saying, "to lift you up."

They looked at each other for several more moments, an understanding passing between the two before Josiah straightened himself and stepped forward.

"Thank you for coming- you have already received the letter explaining your duties here and the reason for why your presence has been requested. We would like you to start as soon as you are able. Your time here will be compensated for, of course, and the work you do will benefit the Kingdom as a whole. Myself and your Queen will be with you in this process, helping you wherever it is needed."

He turned to look at her, flashing her a brief smile before looking at the assembly that was before him, "let's begin."

*   *   *

"Elowen should be giving birth any day now..." Lumi looked at the letter, raising her voice slightly to be heard over the noise of the workers. The first week of them being in the palace was causing chaos that neither she nor Josiah had expected, but it was a welcomed calamity.

"That soon..." Josiah was busy messing with something that was on the desk before him. One of the males captured his attention, running up to hand him a document before racing back down to his own table.

"Josiah. I'm trying to have a conversation with you for a few moments."

"I think it's a wonderful name," he said, his focus still lost in the objects he held.