16

Macy had seen the King's fiance

Macy had seen the King's fiance. She had arrived a week before the ball.

In Macy's mind, the woman was the exact opposite of everything that Princess Lumi was. She was a swirl of silver and white and muted shades of purple and green.

She was vibrant in her own way, but it was the comparison of looking at the moon when you had never seen the sun.

You didn't know the meaning of being blinded until you raised your head to the daylight.

That comparison was what made Macy race to her room, frantically tear through the dress she had been working towards originally for the ball, and completely starting anew.

Princess Lumi could not go in white. Or silver. Or any color.

It had to be gold.

Solid and pure gold.

Macy did not even bother to think about the original idea that had been thought up between them of the simple and elegant dress that was going to be worn made from unblemished white.

Forget that.

Macy wouldn't have her Princess standing next to that woman in such a pale comparison. She knew Lumi was capable of outshining her and any woman who would be in attendance.

When she showed Princess Lumi her finished work the day before, she expected an outflow of praise and applause. It was by far the loudest and most vibrant dress that she had ever dared to wear.

But the look on Princess Lumi's face was not what Macy had expected. There was a pained look in her eye when she took it in.

Macy stared at her, unsure of what she was thinking.

"It's you," she said, holding the material up and pressing it to the Princess's skin.

"This is who you are. And where you come from."

The Princess's eyes rose to meet hers and to Macy's shock, she saw tears there.

"Thank you," Lumi had whispered. She had hugged her. Macy felt her cheeks heat at the memory.

The praise had not been as loud as the thought it would be. 

Macy concluded that the dress had meant more to the princess than she would ever realize.

*   *   *

The ball was not held in the throne room.

The throne chair had been moved to the ballroom.

A platform had been created so that the chair could be seated on it. Next to it sat another chair.

For a second, Marcos has a wild thought that the King had constructed it for the Princess. But then he saw the King come in with Lady Elowen on his arm.