11

Lumi took longer than she normally did on her appearance the next day

Macy had a hard time with her hair, and Lumi still had to do the majority of the work on it. But the end result after their hours of work showed smooth silky long waves that flowed down her back.

Lumi caught a look from Macy in the mirror, frowning and turning to face the girl.

"What's wrong?"

Macy blushed. She was able to blush so easily that it was hard for her to hide anything from Lumi.

She looked down and then back up, staring intently at Lumi's hair.

"I guess...I know this is pretty also...but I liked your curls better I guess..."

Lumi smiled. She liked her natural hair more also. And something in her heart seemed to spring with happiness at Macy's admission.

Not many people in the winter lands liked Lumi's natural hair.

Lumi turned back to the mirror. Her mother always had her hair in this style. Lumi never understood why she took such pains to make it appear that way every morning, but it was nice to change your appearance every now and then.

"Let's not scare the locals too much today," Lumi laughed.

She saw Macy's small smile reflect back in the mirror.

"Is the dress ready?"

Macy nodded, turning to look at the package that was on the bed.

"I heard from the other girls who clean the rooms around the castle that the guests and other council members will be arriving today. This should be okay?"

Macy turned back to look at Lumi, a questioning look in her eyes.

Lumi stood and opened the wrapping slightly. She nodded.

Macy held back her shudder. Even if they changed her hair, there wasn't much they could do to change who the princess was and where she had come from. Macy knew that as she watched Lumi take out the dress. It had a mixture of both summer and winter court in it.

Well...Macy thought, looking at the setup, it just shows there's no changing where you are from.

*   *   *

The guards could explain exactly why they were tense.

Council members mingled in the throne room. Various tables had been set up, with men going back and forth, comparing the results of what they had achieved from their journeys and showing the King.

He would say a few words that left most of the men rushing back, frantically writing, and then going back to have his approval.

It was a madhouse, as it always was whenever the taxes were collected and the males returned.