40

The thought that Lumi held slipped past as Josiah's words interrupted.

"The Winter Ball is in the next few weeks."

She turned to look at him.

"It's that time already..."

He smiled at her. They were sitting in his study together. Josiah insisted that Lumi read through every law they had written. He wanted her input on the rules they had created. But Lumi was confused on what formula or method they used to determine how to create these laws.

Nothing but their own judgement? Nothing but their own thoughts and interpretations? Did Josiah and Soter- the council members- did they go to the people? Did they know the people? Lumi barely even knew them herself.

"They pushed back the date because of Elowen's condition and their son being born, but it's actually coming at a good time. I need to show Theros the steps we are thinking of taking to secure our border, and what he plans to do about his own guard."

Lumi stared out the window. She felt very tired, but she didn't know how to tell Josiah this. She had never felt this way before. Part of her wanted him to notice, but Lumi knew that there would be no reason for him to suspect something was amiss. She always smiled when he called for her and embraced him when he asked.

"I don't think I want to go..." her eyes flickered to Josiah, watching his reaction to see how he would take this information in. She saw him stiffen. He slowly set down the document he was holding, turning to take her fully in.

"You don't want to go?"

"I don't want to leave Kestrel." That was the main reason. But Lumi knew there was a deeper part that sighed at the thought of traveling. Seeing Theros. Seeing the people. Talking. Conversing. Showing something she didn't feel much of these days.

Josiah's head tilted. She watched him think through her words. He sighed and rubbed his eyes, a tired motion that she was used to now.

"I suppose...it would be best to not leave the activity here unattended...but...I would love to have you with me..." his words trailed away as he thought more about it. "Are you sure?"

Lumi smiled, "I think this is the best plan."

He frowned and leaned forward, kissing her cheek. "I hate to leave you..."

He pulled back and suddenly smiled down at her. "I have fond memories of the ball you know."

"Yes," she rolled her eyes, "I know..."

He stared down at her, leaning further in so that his lips grazed her own. Through their contact, he pulled back just enough for Lumi to be able to look into his dark eyes.

"Do you remember the dress you wore? The men could not take their eyes off of you. You let me dance with you three times and I felt like a goddess had granted me a blessing."

She laughed, "you were kind. I wasn't used to that. It made me want to be with you longer before the night ended."

He tilted his head, "you never told me that..." Something sad seemed to pass through his eyes. "And now, Lumi? Do you think I'm that same man? Or do you find me changed in some way?"

She touched his cheek, "I see you. Sometimes. I know you're there."

His smile seemed pained as he pulled back, "you are the light of my life, Lumikki Idalia Lukariah. Please don't forget that."

He kissed the back of her hand and then stood. "I have to start preparing if you are going to stay here while I go."

Lumi watched his retreating back, taking in his quick smile before he closed the door behind. She felt a shaky weakness inside her. Like she wanted to cry for no reason.