6

It finally happened

It finally happened.

Lumi was bored of the snow.

At least for now she was bored of the snow.

She stood in front of it, but didn't feel like touching it.

She turned back to face the King.

Unlike the other days, he didn't have any papers in front of him. He actually seemed....tired.

His eyes were closed as he sat on the throne.

Lumi watched him, before suddenly, his eyes opened to meet her stare. She started, shocked at being caught.

He moved his head to the side, eyes narrowing to look at her. She slowly walked up to him, caution in every step.

He did not make a noise in protest when she stood before him at the foot of the steps.

"Can I do something for you?"

The shadow that stood next to the king made a face with wide eyes. It was only then that Lumi realized how her words could have been interpreted.

He continued to stare at her. She was almost about to turn away before she heard him whisper.

"Can you sing?'

His request sounded more like a threat. Lumi inhaled sharply, nodding slowly.

His blue eyes were piercing into her. She felt pinned to the ground as he made a motion with his hand.

"Sing."

He had heard her sing before. He had actually told her to stop. She wondered if he meant those ancient songs that she had expressed in the prison. He seemed irritated at her hesitation as she looked across the room to the guards.

"You," he pointed to Lumi, "stay. Everyone else leave."

There was a silent pause. The man at the King's side slowly bent down, whispering something in his ear, but the King looked up at him.

Even Lumi had to look away from that stare. It was a dangerous look that made the man take a step back and turn to motion for the guards to leave.

He stared at Lumi, an unknown expression showing on his face as he also exited the room.

"Now, you can sing."

Lumi sat on the bottom step of the throne, looking up to the King. She slowly turned to put her back to him, and without another word, sang.

She wondered if he was curious about the meanings of the words she spoke. She wondered why he had requested such a thing.

She sang several songs, before slowly turning back to face the King.

She almost broke her rhythm at the sight of him in a deep sleep on top of the throne. Lumi had to quickly compose herself to stop the gasp of breath that wanted to leave her.