13

It was very disconcerting to wake up in the King's arms

It had shifted in the middle of the night somehow that they were lying side by side- her back pressed to him as his arms wrapped around her. She had taken her hands and laced her fingers into his own.

His head rested on top of hers, his warm breath rustling her hair just slightly.

Lumi stared at their connected hands, wondering what she was going to do when he woke up.

She planned different scenarios in her head- from him yelling at her, to that unexpected flash of being chucked off the balcony again.

Neither one happened.

She felt him moving next to her.

She stayed still, closing her eyes and faking sleep. When his hands left hers, she still didn't move. She heard a deep sigh leave him and a whispered, "Hell," from his lips.

But he didn't move away from her.

His fingers combed unexpectedly through her hair.

Lumi's whole body hummed with awareness of his every movement. She was strung too tight, with no sense now of when she should wake up from her pretend sleep.

His fingers continued playing with her hair, taking strands and holding them there, before letting them go.

And then his finger went down her arm. A smooth, unbroken motion that caused her to shiver and turn to face him.

He stared down at her, his face blank but Lumi had a feeling there was an edge of unease there at being caught.

"Good morning," she mumbled. 

She looked out the window, noting that the sun had still not risen.

He leaned and laid on his back, hands folding behind his head, still staring at her.

"You...You could always leave through the balcony?" She suggested.

That made him smile.

She felt herself smiling with him, before the events of last night came crashing back into her. She gently touched her face, feeling her swollen eyes, and finally catching onto the scratchiness that was in her throat.

"I'm not sorry I cried," she announced.

He raised an eyebrow at her, clear skepticism at her words but Lumi sat up, pushing her hair down in a terrible attempt to flatten the curly mess.

"You made me cry so you should be the one apologizing."

"I made you cry?"

Lumi turned to glare at him.

"Yes."

They continued their standoff before finally, he looked away, tilting his head and letting it fall sideways onto a pillow.