38

Ramus watched his Queen stand before the man.

His chest was spasming from the pure panic he felt at taking in the sight of her looking up at him. She barely even made it to his shoulders.

Sometimes Ramus forgot just how small she was, but this was a painful reminder.

He could barely hear their words.

He stood to the side, while the male's own forces faced them a distance away. The two leaders conversed in the middle.

Ramus almost had a heart attack when they had asked her to remove any weapons and a long knife had been pulled out from her thigh, hidden away by the folds of her dress.

That had made the rebel leader smile though.

"A Queen who is a warrior? Did our King make a wise choice for once?"

Ramus had taken a step forward, but her hand on his chest stopped any movement as she looked up to the male and smiled.

Watching now, the rebel leader seemed to be growing flustered. Ramus tensed, his eyes darting to connect with his men. They nodded to him, only a single command holding them back.

Until she turned to face them, walking slowly to Ramus. He stepped forward, his eyes not once leaving the leader as the male turned and went to his own side.

"Is it done?" Ramus whispered.

His Queen shook her head, "not even close, the fools. I understand what Josiah is talking about now."

She looked up at the sky, taking in the stars. Ramus stared at her skin, matching the picture with the image she gazed at now.

"This land may be cursed," she said, her eyes going down to stare at Ramus. He did not flinch from her words. He silently agreed with them.

Sighing, she patted her cheeks and turned back to face the other males.

"What are they doing?" One guard asked.

"Talking. I've said things that he needs to discuss with his own people. Give them a few minutes and then we will see."

Ramus wanted to ask what had been said but knew it was not in his place to do so. His job was not to become involved in the political affairs of his country. He was there to guard her and that was all.

They waited for a while. Ramus looked up at the stars, finding the one he needed to see how much time had passed.

"Half an hour, my Queen," he whispered.

She did not seem affected by this statement and only continued to look out, waiting.

After an hour, and much shouting from the rebels at each other, the leader finally stepped back.

He surprised them though, by not stopping in the middle. Ramus' hand went involuntarily to his sword, his position shifting so that it was half covering his Queen.

"Soter, have you reached a decision?"

Ramus felt disbelief run through him at the usage of first name. More so when the male laughed and said, "yes, Lumi."

Some of the guards shifted uneasily, but their Queen pushed their discomfort aside as she stepped around Ramus and walked towards the male.

"My Queen..."

Her hand rose- a sign telling him to stand down. He did just that, but his gaze hardened over the male named Soter as his grin only widened from the action.