18

There was a knock on her door.

Lumi opened it to find Marcos and several other guards standing there.

"Princess..." Marcos' voice sounded strained as he looked down at her, "We've..." he turned his head away, and to Lumi's astonishment she realized that he was looking up, his fists clenched in a tight hold.

Felix put a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder. But a voice behind him, caused both men to step away as Jodi presented herself. 

"Hello Lumi," she smiled gently at the girl, "I haven't seen you enough."

Lumi felt a hesitant smile come to her face, still unsure of why so many were gathered outside her door.

Jodi turned and shooed the men, "I'll go in and tell her. You stay here."

Lumi felt something heavy drop in her stomach, her chest clenching tightly as she stepped aside and closed the door behind Jodi.

The woman seemed to be taking a deep breath of courage before she turned and took Lumi's hands.

"Princess..."

Lumi tilted her head and smiled, waiting expectantly.

Jodi cleared her throat and swallowed, "Word is going around that a council meeting is being held and...they are discussing you..."

"Me?"

"You and your...future..."

Lumi softly took Jodi's hands, smiling up at the woman. "It's okay."

Jodi gripped onto the princess's hands tightly, squeezing them between hers as she shook her head, "It's not right. It's not fair that they all treat you like this. When you've done nothing wrong and you're so bright and-," she inhaled deeply, looking up as Marcos had done to try and regain her emotion.

"I'm sorry. You should be the one crying. Not me."

"Jodi..." Lumi took a step closer, tilting her head with a sad smile in place, "I knew my life wasn't going to be easy the moment it was decided I would come here. I lost every right I had as a person when the King said yes and accepted me as his property. Whatever happens...happens...and I'll take it when it comes."

Without warning, Lumi was pulled into a tight hug.

"You're so brave," Jodi whispered, "But I think you'll need even more bravery when you hear about their decision. I think the King will tell you but he- I don't know if he even cares."

She pulled away, quickly wiping her tears off.

"They want to marry you off."

Lumi sighed, "It was going to happen to me eventually."

"I don't know where. But it's going to happen soon. I couldn't forgive myself if I didn't come here to say goodbye to you. You're the best princess I've ever met."

Lumi gave her a wry smile, "Am I the only princess you've ever met?"

Jodi laughed, "that's why you're the best. No other princess would dare come down into my kitchen."

Jodi turned to face Lumi's room.

"I came to help you pack. Me and Macy. She should be arriving soon."

True to her words, a few minutes later a tearful Macy entered, telling Lumi that wherever she went, she would follow and continue to be her maid.

"That's very sweet," Lumi said, giving her a tight hug, "but you'll be needed here, and I don't want to take you away from your family."