8

Lumi woke up suddenly

She looked to the side, watching as the light filtered out the window.

She felt weak, but at the same time...okay...

Lumi shook her head, trying to clear the daze that was over her. She felt like she had resurfaced from the world.

Turning to the other side, she smiled when she saw Jodi.

"Jodi...."

The woman opened her eyes, sitting up straighter in her chair and smiling down at Lumi.

"You're awake," she whispered.

"What happened?" Lumi asked.

"You had a bad fever," Jodi said, shaking her head. "I worried about you. You're not used to our climate, so the chill that came over you wasn't normal. I didn't know what to do, but they told me I had to be the one to help."

Jodi sighed and leaned back in her chair, "I told them they needed a doctor. But no one listens to me."

Lumi's smile widened as the woman continued talking.

"I guess you got sick at the right time. There's a lot of bustle in the kitchen over the people that are coming back to the castle these next few weeks. One of the guards told me they didn't know what they were going to do with you, so I suggested that once you were better, you could help me."

"Guests?" Lumi asked.

"Haven't you noticed the castle has been empty?"

Lumi shrugged, "I thought it was always like that?"

Jodi laughed, "well...yes and no...I mean, the majority of the King's council have been out on inspection of the lands and to other kingdoms. I think they go to the Kingdoms instead of the other way around." Jodi gave Lumi a knowing look before continuing, "But that's about to be done, and they will be coming back. This isn't really the usual in the palace. Most of the time Wilmot is here though."

"Who is Wilmot?" Lumi felt like she was completely in the dark.

Jodi stared at her in surprise. "I'm sure you've seen Wilmot. He never leaves the King's side. He's the head council."

Ah. Lumi felt a satisfied thump in her chest for her correct guess at the man's position.

So his name was Wilmot.

"How long have I been sick?"

"Three days....don't you remember any of it?"

"Uh..." Lumi thought...most of it was just a blur of dreams. "I guess not," she concluded.

"I'll let you rest for another day. Do you think you'll be up to working in the kitchen tomorrow? You're not running a fever anymore."

Lumi nodded eagerly, "the King will allow it?"