4

There was snow in the room

Lumi's eyes zeroed in on the piles of snow that had gathered from the open side doors. Clear piles of it, like stacks of crystal.

She had only touched it the one time when she and daddy had been exiting the carriage. It had not been enough time in Lumi's opinion and she had wanted desperately to touch it again.

She had tried last night to open her window and maybe grab a few as they fell, but the sheer coldness had made the frame stuck in place.

Now her every focus was on the piles and piles of it.

She could vaguely hear the King's voice in the background.

Even in the back of her mind, it sounded like a cloud of thunder thrashing together, and Lumi thought it was probably better not to listen and feel the full threat of his words unleash on her.

Their one encounter together had maybe...just maybe frightened her.

She did not like to think she was someone who could be frightened easily, but even Lumi could read the dark void and emptiness that expanded in the man's eyes.

And for some reason, the snow was just so...pure...

It just grabbed her attention so much that she was unable to focus on anything else.

The voice of the King seemed to grow louder and louder but Lumi only sighed and made her way to the piles before her.

Until the sword of a guard stopped her in her path.

"I just wanted to touch the snow!" She protested.

A look of surprise filtered across the guard's face before he regained control of his features.

She turned to look at the King.

Ah.

Maybe she had been avoiding looking at him because of this.

He still was just...so handsome. Lumi felt a deep urge now to touch him instead of the snow.

But even from the distance that she stood, she could still read the deep anger that was flashing in his eyes.

"Come here." He pointed to the spot directly in front of him.

She lowered her head and obeyed.

The image of a scolded puppy seemed to flash through everyone's mind as the princess approached the king.

He evaluated her, the anger still apparent and there on his face.

For a long time, he did not speak. There was nothing but silence.

The silence stretched and her eyes seemed to just naturally stray back to the snow.

"Look at me," he snapped.