27

Elowen stood outside in the cold, waiting for the arrival of their last guest.

Of course she was last.

Elowen was both impressed and annoyed at how that girl always seemed to steal the show, even if it was unintentional. She could feel the stares of others watching from the castle. This was the meeting that had been gossiped about for weeks as news circulated among the guests that a former mistress of the King was arriving.

Then the correction had been made in the fact that the former mistress was actually a Queen now. She was on an even playing field with Elowen.

In this moment actually, she was higher.

Elowen saw their carriage in the distance. She heard the deep inhale of Theros beside her.

"Don't make a fool of yourself." He looked down to meet her gaze. She narrowed her eyes at him, "Remember I'm the one you are marrying."

His eyes searched her, a hard look coming over his features. Elowen knew her words were what he needed to steel himself from showing any weakness in these next coming moments. She could feel those stares on their backs. She could feel them watching, and waiting for him to descend in some way.

He had already fallen once.

He couldn't afford to do so again.

The carriage was the same one that had taken her away. Elowen felt her heart suddenly pick up in its beat. She had told him not to make a fool of himself, but she was saying the same reminder in her head now. There should not have been this much anticipation or anxiety towards this meeting. This was just another greeting. Just another royal guest coming for her wedding.

Yet I'm the one who is standing in the cold waiting, Elowen thought.

The carriage stopped.

The door opened.

The King of Galexious appeared, wearing a black suit and coat with dark purple outlining. His hair had been styled back, but it still did not help the rogue appearance he seemed to hold as his dark eyes met Elowen's.

He broke the brief connection they had as he turned back to the carriage and extended his hand to the next figure that was emerging.

Elowen watched as a mist of violet appeared from inside.

The wind picked up at the exact moment she stepped out. As if she planned it. As if she had waited for that moment.

Elowen felt her eyes unable to leave as the purple silk flared out behind, becoming captured in the wind, letting long strands of the material flow back to create a carpet of purple to cascade as she descended.

Her hand rested gratefully in his. Her hair had been put in multiple braids, all the coils twisted to have a knot on the top of her head that then let the other, longer strands, come down to rest on her back.

The sight of her honestly took even Elowen's breath away.

She jolted in surprise at the sudden contact when she felt Theros' hand desperately reach out to grip her own. His hold was tight and constraining but Elowen fought against the pain, knowing she was the only thing that was holding him back.

Queen Lumikki turned to her husband, and Elowen stared at the two in fascination. She wanted to see how they had lasted these past six months. She wanted to see if they had come together or apart.

The image of the majesty and awe came shattering down as Queen Lumikki suddenly bent down, and threw up.

"What the-," Elowen unconsciously jumped back, even though she was still a distance away.