| Chapter 31 |

Chapter Thirty-One

* * * * *

I couldn't sleep.

After I told Adrien what went on in my head, I left for my room and told him that I needed some space to think.

Now sleep wasn't coming. No matter how much I tried.

Maybe it was because I kept thinking about the voices I heard earlier.

Were they talking about me? Well, probably.

Did...did they do something to me?

Are they actually the reason for my memory loss?

If they were, I don't think I could forgive them no matter what they try to say.

My throat then started to feel quite dry, so I threw off the covers and slipped out of bed. I slowly exited the room and headed to the kitchen.

I almost had a heart attack when I saw Adrien sitting at the island with papers spread out in front of him.

"Jesus Christ, Adrien!" I exclaimed causing him to look up at me.

"Marinette? Why aren't you sleeping?" He asked, tilting his head to the side.

"I should be asking you that question," I told him as I opened the fridge. "I couldn't sleep. Now why aren't you sleeping?"

"Same. Sleep wasn't coming," He replied, lowering his eyes to the papers in front of him.

I poured myself a glass of cranberry juice before walking over to where he was. I then took a seat beside him. "Whatcha doin'?"

He casted a look of amusement my way before answering, "I'm looking through the papers that Matilda gave us earlier."

"What have you read so far?" I took a sip of the juice. I almost forgot about those.

"I just started reading through the requirements for adoption and so far I'm seeing basic stuff. I haven't answered any of the questions though. We should do that together," He explained, skipping through the papers.

I placed the cup on the counter before picking up a pen that was laying in front of him. "Let's do them now then. By the way, what time is it?"

Adrien glanced at his phone. "Almost 11."

"That's quite early," I stated. "Let's begin."

It took just about an hour for me and Adrien to finish going through all the papers that we got from Matilda. Some of the questions that were there we had to leave them out because we didn't have any answers. Like one that asked us what schools do we have in mind to put Emma in or if we would get her home-schooled. 

There was this specific requirement that said they would have an agent come in to our house to see if it was okay enough to accommodate a child. That made us realise that we still had to buy a house. 

A lot of things were slipping my mind these days....

So much is going on and I can't think straight anymore.

"We are going to stop here," Adrien stated, taking up the papers from in front of me. "I can practically feel the stress radiating from you."

"We can finish them now though," I tried to persuade him, but it didn't seem like it was working because he continued to pack away the papers. "Adrien."