Just Junie

-inspired by the show Pose
-adapted version of the 1st chapter of Just Junie (see below)

$

Walking onto the subway train, I sighed trudging all the way to the back flopping on the seat nearest to the window. I liked looking out as the train passed by over the calm nighttime of the city.

Sticking one AirPod in I allowed Jhene Aiko's Wasted Love to flow through my ear to ease me on this 30 minute ride. I used to dread this train ride when I first started working, because it was scary, and the unknown. But, it wasn't that bad after awhile. Usually, everyone left you alone.

I gazed up from my phone to see a group of guys walk in from one of the stops on the route, they didn't look like they were from around here. I could tell by the way they were dressed they came from at least a little money. They had to be dumb to be blatantly flaunting their wealth at this time of night.. especially on the subs.

They occasionally looked my way, trying to 'discreetly' point in my direction, but you know how niggas be. They pushed and shoved in a playful manner a taller lightskin boy who seemingly turned a little red when he noticed me looking. I smiled, laughing down to myself. I was a sight to see I couldn't blame him.

The train came to a stop before the conductor's tired and annoyed voice blasted through the busted speaker system announcing what stop this was.

Clutching my coat closed, I grabbed my purse walking towards the doors, before winking at the boys that were staring in awe before walking onto the platform.

"Wait.." The one who turned red earlier called out, but before he could get to the doors the train pulled off to the next stop. I sighed disappointedly, before walking out into the semi breezy streets.

I don't know why I was so disappointed, I usually didn't care for much attention from men because of the line of work I was in. But, he seemed different. "What are you saying Junie? You don't even know this kid." I spoke aloud to myself, shaking my head annoyed with my own thoughts.

The quiet waves and lo-fi hip hop music playing from a distant speaker made me aware that I had reached my destination. I walked down to the beginning of the pier seeing other girlies in their best selling outfits posted up on their spots.

You only went to the pier at this time of night for one of two reasons. To sell your goodies or buy some.

One of the girls, Chanel, side eyed me as I made my way to the light pole, my usual spot. You could say she was the mother of the pier, making sure each girl made their fair share while making her own.

"Miss mamas, what are you doing here? It's not your day." She approached me crossing her arms placing them underneath her perfectly plumped boobs. Looking at them I was kind of jealous she made my double d's look like a's. But then again she was a grown ass woman. I was only 19.

"I know, but I'm really need some extra cash. I didn't think it would matter if I came tonight."

Her stern face didn't change, but she reached one arm out touching my shoulder. "Oh, sweetie no."

"Jus- please. I need to make rent or I'm going to get kicked out, I-I haven't eaten in days I just need a few dollars and I'll be out you guy's way I promise."

"You think you're the only one out her struggling mija? We're all struggling, all trying to make a few dollars. There's 5 other girls here and it's their days to work. I'm sorry but I can't let you take an opportunity from them. It's just not fair."