008

CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

000. pirates and marines

The day finally came and Ace turned 17, whereas Kai became 16-- being only a year and a few months younger than the freckled male. Nonetheless, Kai never acknowledged their differences in age, how could he? He was a man originally in his 20's.

"Kai!" Garp's boisterous voice echoed through the mountains as he welcomed himself in Dadan's hut, searching for his germaphobic grandson. It was finally time for him to man up and join the Marines, in there, he could continue his training.

"Geezer, what're you doing here?" Kai asked, arching a brow, already suspicious about his intentions.

"It's time for you to be a Marine!" He exclaimed. "Pack up your things, the ship is already waiting at the port!"

Luffy overheard this and popped up from the living room. "That's not fair! You aren't gonna take Kai away too!" He whined, glaring at his grandpa.

"Then I'm assuming Ace already went to set sail, huh. That stubborn brat." Garp shook his head, hiding behind a smile. Oh well, he couldn't do anything about that now, Ace was already built for a different path, it was only natural.

"Alright." Kai told plainly.

Luffy was conflicted. "Eh?! I though you were joining my crew!"

Kai glared at the boy. "Don't be ridiculous, I didn't say such thing." They were teenagers now and he really did think that Luffy would mature and grow out of his childish phase, but here he was, proven wrong.

"That's great!" Garp exclaimed, ignoring their little argument. "Finally a grandson who wants to be a Marine!"

Kai could only internally smirk at that. Who says he wants to be a Marine? No, his ambition was far more greater than that, he simply wants to uncover some secrets and learn some techniques that is strictly taught only in their ranks.

-

"What's this?" Kai arched a brow, looking at the table filled with all kinds of sweets. He just boarded the ship and this is the first thing he sees. . .

"It's to celebrate your 16th birthday." Garp told, releasing a boisterous laugh.

"But that was months ago. . ." He trailed off. Nonetheless, he was surprised that the man even bothered to remember when he obviously forgot Ace's age and Luffy's birthday.

If it weren't for his great memory, they all wouldn't have known when Luffy's birthday was.

"Look-- Makino and the Mayor are waving." Garp told as he glanced by the railings. Kai spared a glance before looking back at the wide sea. The Vice-admiral noticed his behavior. "Aren't you gonna say bye?"

"I already did." Kai told, remembering how he just said a short farewell before going on his way.

"Your choice."

"Old man, how do I start off?" Kai suddenly asked curiously, wanting to know what he should expect. He had no experience with being a marine, but that did not stop him from putting his ground.

"You enter training camp first and they discharge you in about a year, depending on how well you do. I only did it for a month." Garp laughed off.

The rest of the ride was smooth and silent, just the marines under his grandfather's command feeling beads of sweat forming as they stared at their leader's grandson. What a threatening presence, hard to believe he just turned 16.

And after a long ride through calm belt that lasted about a whole day with Kai staying awake the whole time, they finally arrived in an island that was somewhat near the headquarters. It indeed resembled a training camp, with the long metal fences and strict security.

"This is the place?" Kai arched a brow, it was not what he expected after hearing the word 'camp'. But of course, that will not affect his inevitable outcome of utter success.

"Yeah. Let me warn you, this one's tough for a small fry like you." Garp laughed.

Kai only smirked as he stood up and straightened his outfit neatly. The ship entered the large gates, watching as they were soon met with the sight of hundreds of marines saluting to the visitors.

"I can't believe it's the Marine hero, Garp!"

"I never thought I'll see him before I get discharged!"

"He's the one who inspired me to become a Marine!"

Kai casted a single glance at them before averting his gaze back. It seems like the old man had his own fanbase.

"Who's the kid beside him?"

"I don't know, maybe a new recruit?"

"Woah, to be dropped off by Garp and his ship personally. . . He must be someone big!"

"He kinda scares me, honestly. . ."

Kai ignored the side comments about him before he turned to his grandfather who seemed ecstatic about the idea of him being a marine. Was this the first time he got someone from his bloodline to join him? Sadly, yes.

"Do great, Kai!" Garp repeatedly slapped his back, grinning widely as he encouraged the boy who couldn't share his excitement. "Show them how it's done!"

"You're embarrassing me." Kai deadpanned. "Well, are you gonna tell me where I should go?" He asked, looking at the old man who was too busy picking his nose. Kai grimaced at the nasty and shameless action before turning away. "Fine, I'm gonna figure it out myself."

The lack of hygiene from this person. . .

"That's the spirit! I'm off now, I'll see you in 2 years!" Garp waved off, watching as Kai casually hopped off the height before effortlessly landing on his feet.

Murmurs soon enveloped the whole place as eyes all followed Kai as he was guided towards the other Vice-admiral's office, basically the person in charge of this place.

Kai had to get used of the staring, after all, it was something he'll experience again later on in life.

As he entered the office, he saw an old man who was also as old as Garp, he didn't know the man, and he wasn't exactly interested too.

"You're Garp's grandson, eh?" The man stroked his chin in thinking before huffing. "You don't look anything like him"

"Thank you."

"You're way too neat, decent, and calm!" The man exclaimed before shaking his head. "But we'll know by your performance if you're just a kid he picked up on a floating basket." He muttered. "Don't disappoint!"

Kai could understand the strict and harsh treatment, it was all for him to man up and be intimidated. Unfortunately for the man though, he was way more above his level with his quirk alone. Not on physical bases, yes, but with a light graze with his touch, the man would be nothing more than just a part of history.

"Don't worry, sir." Kai spoke up, not intimidated at all as a sly and mischievous look came on his face behind his mask. His eyes were naturally narrowed, and just now, like everyone else, did the Vice-admiral just see how dangerous the boy was through his scrutinizing gaze with those small yellow pupils.

It was always the eyes of a person that makes one known. And if the Vice-admiral was to list the most condescending part of the boy who stood before him, he would naturally say his eyes.

After all, those eyes colored with uncanny yellow was not normal. Not when he could see his lifeline reflect on Kai's eyes.

This was no ordinary boy, he realized that much.

Garp didn't bring a monster, he brought the devil himself.