036

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

036. auctionhouse

To most citizens, they would never find themselves entering the auctionhouse. Why should they?

People there are being sold, stolen belongings are being labeled as a falsely precious piece, and the kidnapped beings can be found there just because they were diverse.

None would even dream of entering them if they knew how it worked behind the scenes.

But to Kai, a Vice-Admiral who was purposely handed the duty of the dirty work (investigating them and even initiating) ‐- it was nothing major. Why would he be threatened by a bunch of ordinary people? Why should he be frightful to see how cruelly it operated?

It didn't matter.

His objective wasn't to wallow in non-existing sympathy or loathe. He was here to alter his plan by just the slightest. He was going to be selfish, just like how he has always been.

But this was a release, a satisfaction not only for him but for most, even if they refuse to acknowledge it.

If there was one thing that Kai absolutely did best, it was working behind the shadows. Beyond prying eyes, beyond proper suspicion.

So, it was easy to enter the auctionhouse without raising too much suspicion and garnering attention. He had removed his marine coat and disassembled it to stuff it in its usual compartment.

He was left in his usual clothing beneath his coat. Further avoiding suspicion as he wore dark colors except for the silver grey tie.

What was his altered plan you may ask? Well, this was not straying far from Kai's usual dirty ethics. He was going to do something cruel again. Except, this time -- he was stringing along several assets into it.

"Eustass Kid and Trafalgar Law. . . Those pirates." He could hear one of the bystanders murmur, somewhat familiar with rising stars in the world of piracy.

Kai knew them of course, he keeps tabs on everything he can get his hands on ‐- and sometimes, even beyond due to his increasing connection.

"Pirates are everywhere." One murmured not so discreetly.

It didn't concern them majorly though so Kai was not surprised to hear their small conversation had died down almost immediately.

Seeing the amount of people entering the auctionhouse did not faze him either, to know that there were actually people willing to buy slaves and stolen objects; to see people fight over what no one will ever actually own. . .

Kai deduced that there will always be fucked up people everywhere, no matter the world and age.

And him? He was not trying to be a saint either. He was just a different category.