012

CHAPTER TWELVE

012. dragon

Kai was becoming more and more impatient with how his situation was. He was honestly tired of playing 'good', it was far from his original intentions but he knew how necessary it was to portray himself that way.

Although he hasn't seen Shanks for years, his words had remained in his head, playing again and again as if it all just happened yesterday. He was confused, wary, and curious. It made him wonder what involvement it had with his personal life and his future as well, it made him think that the universe was simply playing him again.

But of course, he brushed off intruding thoughts. 

He was born into this world of Piracy and Maritime, he is now made up of skin and bones from this world where Haki comes naturally to those who are gifted. It was very unlike his position in the quirk-filled world-- and he plans for everything to never end that way again.

It was at the end of the year already, and soon enough-- Kai was going to hit the age of being an adult, meaning that Luffy was bound to set sail soon and the world would progress on much more in action. It was the timing he thought about for years ever since he was a year old in this world.

What were his future plans? Of course, meeting his biological father was a must, with his influence and familiarity-- he was an important piece in his chess.

And it seems like Kai wouldn't even need to find him. Mainly because he was sure that he himself would approach him instead.

To deal with matters in an easier way, he saved Dragon from having to find him and put himself in danger to his identity. Kai had purposely situated himself in an island where no Marines are usually around.

As a Vice-Admiral who is to be monitored 24/7 for simply being valuable to the Marines, Kai managed to free himself from the holds and waited by an isolated brick fence.

It did not take long for him to achieve what he had planned for the day.

"Kai."

As a cue, Dragon made his presence known, looking at the back of his son who wore the Marine coat so casually as it was hanging by his shoulders. The rumors were true, he heard of Kai's progress-- and although they were not placed on the same side, he was both impressed and proud that his son was already being successful.

Kai tilted his head to the side, greeting the man as their eyes met, a wave of familiarity passing through.

Dragon felt as if he had seen those eyes before. And while it could have been while Kai was still in his care, the feeling was too recent.

"Father," Kai acknowledged, hopping off the fence he sat on before facing the leader of the Revolutionary who didn't hesitate to approach him after they had discreetly exchanged letters. "It's been a while."

Dragon pursed his lips into a thin line before nodding in agreement. "It indeed has been."

"I've received your letters and kept it a secret as I promised." The younger of the two informed professionally, which was already to be expected since Dragon remembered Kai as being mature since he was just an infant. 

Maybe he had always been a special case. 

"That's good to hear." The revolutionary wouldn't have lost anything either way.

"I've heard of your motives, an organization built to oppose the World Government directly. . . It's admirable, truly. Although, that is out of my concern." Kai dismissed. "You are probably wondering why we are met here at this place, at this time."

Dragon listened silently, ears all open to hear from curiosity.

"I am here to present a proposal."

"Proposal?" Dragon arched a brow. A Marine giving an idea to the other side? That was unheard of. "Does Sengoku know about this?"

Kai released an amused huff. "Of course not." He expressed. "They know nothing of our communication, meeting, and conversation. And perhaps, it will always stay that way."

Dragon processed it all before a grin of his own came over his face, simply amused and impressed as he figured the situation.

"I see. . . You're not entirely loyal to the Marines, as I had expected. Now, what is this all about? What is this proposal of yours?"

Kai figured it would be as easy as breathing. He could tell that the man cared loads. He was apparently his son, after all. And although Kai was not a fan of connections, this was beneficial to him in every way.

"It's simple, really." The germaphobe turned his back, exposing the Marine coat before shrugging it off, the sight of his neat dark suit could now be seen. And it fitted his character more, especially the dark aura that originally surrounds him.

Dragon was now able to see him in a new light.

"You just have to work with me." 

Kai stood there, his head tilted to the side to look in the eyes of the revolutionary leader who looked stunned for a second, staring at the plague mask that the boy now wore. It suddenly made more sense for Dragon.

In that odd dream from years ago, it was, no doubt, his very son who became the star of it. He wasn't wrong. Dragon is now looking at Chisaki, not the prodigy from the Marines or his dear son whom he left to his father's care years ago. 

"In a year, I plan to make a move once everything is set at the perfect moment. I'll redeem my title and change the world to a pure one." Kai stated. "Isn't your goal somehow similar? To abolish the trash that pollutes and prevents a peaceful place?"

The boy removed the plague mask, replacing it with his usual surgical one before he looked back.

"Why don't we temporarily work together?"

Dragon realized just how much Kai must have thought this true. And somehow, he can see that the boy was still growing, meaning he had plenty of room to grow into power. 

With his IQ and ability to think all of his actions through, it wasn't impossible. 

While Dragon used to think that Kai was not very similar to him even in terms of appearance, he can totally see now how related they are now-- in terms of goals and ideologies.

With a grin, the leader of the revolutionaries nodded. "Then, I'm looking forward to what you plan in a year from now."

Kai was a cruel person, there was no hiding it. Even leading his own father on, betraying his grandfather and everyone who trusted him-- he was simply too outrageous. He did not deserve to walk on the ground after doing such things.

But he couldn't help it. He had stated from the start that the only thing that matters was him and his own ambitions. 

There was no lie with him saying he wanted to cleanse the world. In fact, he and his father were similar when it came to goals. But the only difference was that Kai was naturally twisted, he was not afraid to make sacrifices, nor did he ever hesitate in making decisions.

In simpler words,

The only difference between him and Dragon was that Kai was meant to stand on top.