029

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

029. courage

To say that Usopp was in the brink of death was an understatement.

"Luffy, is your brother suicidal?" Nami whispered to the boy in a concerned tone.

The captain shook his head immediately, "No, he's just brave." In the monkey's eyes, Kai was just doing all this for him. Testing his crewmates just to see if they were capable enough to support him in his pirate king journey.

Usopp swallowed thickly before raising the revolver to eye level, aiming with one eye close, his hands surprisingly stable-- greatly contrasting to his wobbling legs.

Kai arched a brow at this. He supposes that the Pinocchio wasn't as big of a coward as he originally thought.

"Hey, isn't this dangerous?" Sanji asked in disbelief, a cigarette between his lips. "Luffy, are you really going to let Usopp shoot you brother's finger?" He knows just how much their captain loves and cares for his older brother.

Robin wasn't so interactive, not like she normally was, but it was different. In the presence of a high-ranking Marine officer who is possibly affiliated with a certain Admiral. . .

"You can do it, Usopp!" Franky cheered.

"This isn't safe!" Chopper exclaimed.

"Your definition of safe differs from mine." Kai spoke up calmly. Clearly, he doesn't see it as anything remotely life-threatening. A revolver? Dangerous? The only thing that can kill Kai now is Kai himself.

Usopp readied the gun and hesitated for a moment before eventually pulling the trigger for a split second.

Everyone watched as the silver bullet started darting across the ship and onto Kai's held out finger. Everyone could hear the sound of flesh rippling and blood gushing out. Chopper, Nami, and Usopp had to wince and turn away, shutting their eyes close to the point they can barely even see light pass through their eyelids.

Kai wasn't immune to pain, but he was greatly tolerant to it. After all, the torture he had to endure in his past life sort of made him numb, and since he was now born with a different body build-- it helped a lot with his way of dealing with pain.

Seeing the male not even flinch and still remain with the unfazed look, the others were seemingly the only ones affected with the hole in his finger or the fact that there was barely any flesh on the sides to keep it up, making its fall inevitable.

"Is he a psychopath?" Zoro questioned in disbelief-- as the rest of them were.

"Kai-nii!" Luffy exclaimed in extreme worry.

"Quite impressive." Kai stated, looking over him finger, examining it, watching blood drip from it that it soon covered his hand. "But then again, anything can be cleanly shot with a revolver that has silver and sea stone components."