034

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

034. dark king

Kai could not begin to express how much he loathes being told to do things. He doesn't take criticism well from people who he's aware are much more. . . Uninformed than him. That was why he was looking forward to the day he breaks off his cover as a Marine and start taking the world more like a land to conquer rather than a book to learn from.

It has been roughly a few weeks since he last got carried away with taking lives and reviving a few. Did he erase their memory? What a foolish question. Of course he did. He could not afford to be found yet.

One more push, he assures himself. Just one more milestone to reach until he can confidently say he has the capabilities to be the 'strongest'.

He has been going back and forth from Sabaody Archipelago and smaller and irrelevant islands, collecting data from all over the Grand Line.

He could manage without comrades. Rather be alone than risk betrayal, he figured. After all, there can only be one seat in the throne. People can only ever bring you disappointment if not a headache.

Staring at the empty cigarette box that he held inside the palm of his hands, his fingers occasionally flicking it open and close in a rhythmic beat-- he was pondering it carefully. He has the blueprint of the Pluto, one of the most deadliest weapon known to mankind. And yet, he couldn't do anything about it because for one, he was not a builder nor could he read the text.

Sighing in frustration, he screw it shut tightly with his thumb, shutting his eyes close as multiple solutions attempt to make it to the light of his head. Futile, he may add.

"You seem to be in deep thinking, young man."

Kai was momentarily taken aback, too engulfed in his thoughts to have taken notice of the new presence that graced him. He then quickly composed himself and looked up at the man who stood before his sitting figure, staring down at him behind glinting spectacles.

That's odd. That's very odd. He always kept his guard up even when he's preoccupied in his mind. He was convinced his senses were effective even at 20%-- and yet, he did not feel the old man's incoming figure at all.

Who was he?

"It's none of your business," He retorted coldly, unwilling to engage in pointless conversations.

"You smoke?" The older man gestured towards the cigarette box in his hand. Kai narrowed his eyes and scoffed, turning away.

"No. Smoking is for the suicidal." Kai would very much rather have his lungs still intact by the time he reaches his senior years. Smoking and cigarettes in general was pointless anyway, why would you want to value pleasure over health? Because it gives a calming sensation? That's bullshit.