003

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

003. red haired shanks

With not enough words to solidify, one civilian from the town pointed a frantic and shaky finger towards the sea, eyes widening, face contorted horrified, and his words could barely form at the tip of his tongue.

And as soon as his stuttering words escaped his mouth, it caused a great distress for everyone.

"There's. . . P-P-Pirates!"

Upon hearing the simple words, everyone in town quickly panicked and went off to sought for neighboring marines, ready to call the number that Garp had left for them in case of emergency.

But before they could step up, Mayor Woop Slap had rushed in front, Makino on his side as they threatened the incoming Pirates from going any further.

"Hey, hey, hey," The red haired Captain tried to calmly assess the situation. "We come in peace." He stated genuinely, expressing just how much he didn't really want to hurt anyone.

"And sake." One of his crewmate chimed in.

"We're just here to drink, we don't wish to cause trouble." The red haired Captain stated, raising his hands in surrender before sending a convincing and friendly grin.

"We don't‐-" Woop Slap began before Makino calmly placed a hand over his old shoulder.

"Mayor." She said, shaking her head. Woop Slap was loss for words. Did she really trust those scheming Pirates? No Pirates were good, everyone knows that.

"I-- Makino-- don't tell me you trust these Pirates?"

"They offer peace. Let's not cause trouble." Makino enlightened him, sending him a look that made Woop Slap begrudgingly back away before sending a fierce look at the Pirates who crossed their territory.

Despite knowing Pirates were the evil ones, Makino can't help but notice their sincere tones. Plus, how could she judge people just because of their affiliations?

"You do know that Kai would not be pleased to know that you brought Pirates in the island, right?" Woop Slap reminded her, remembering just how the boy would go about being disgusted by such people.

"Kai wouldn't need to know. They're just going to be here for a couple of drinks, right?" She turned to the Pirates.

Shanks, the Captain, nodded kindly. "We're only here for sake."

Truthfully, Shanks surely did not want to stick longer than he should. After all, this was an island protected by the Marine Hero, Garp. The guy who used to go on par with his former Captain, the Pirate King.

"Great. Follow me to my pub." The kind woman said, gesturing for them to follow her.

With their pleasure, his crew and himself went to follow the woman, Makino, to her pub. It was not far and was pretty close to the docks, and while he was given time to look around, he marvelled at how peacefully small the town was.

He was well aware of the nobles in the other half of the island, surely not planning to visit there.

"I'm Makino, the old man from earlier is the Mayor, Woop Slap. I sincerely hope you keep your word."

"Of course I will." Shanks assured. "And I'm Shanks, the Captain of this crew. We're not big shots if you're asking, so we guarantee no trouble." Not big shots yet at least.

After a moment of silence, Makino opened her pub, the scent of Alcohol immediately engulfing their nostrils as they grinned happily at the delicious smell. It was all that they crave for.

"Do you live with anyone? It's surely home-like here." Shanks noticed. It was the feeling where more than one person makes this place a home, the aroma of sweet bonds and connections. He could never mistaken it.

It feels like the Pirate King's ship. The feeling of people at least.

"Ah, not exactly. But Luffy and Kai usually stay here and kinda make this place more livelier." There was that caring smile on her face that says that she treasures the people she mentioned.

Who were they? Possibly good people to have impressed someone as nice as Makino.

"Well, Kai often sleeps out and returns a few days later but he still sometimes stays here." She said. There was that name again, the Mayor mentioned it too.

Who was Kai? Surely a person who seems pretty relevant in this town.

"Kai must be a protector around here, huh?" Shanks decided to bring up, curious about this Kai guy. Makino softened at the word, protector.

After all, Kai was still a young child. Despite being capable, he was still around the same age as kids who still play with their feet tied and their snot running down. He was just considerably mature.

"Not really. He's still a young boy. Mature but still has vulnerabilities as a child since he's still 8 and all."

"Interesting." Shanks genuinely said, thinking about what Kai must be. "How is he so strong? Does he perhaps have a devil fruit?" A kid can't have haki, at least he believes so. Plus, Kai must be strong because the whole Village filled with grown people depends on him.

"A devil fruit? Like the myths? No, he doesn't." She answered, feeling ridiculous for having answered that. How could she speak in behalf of Kai? Despite taking care of him since he was younger, she didn't know him that well, he has always been rather independent.

"I see."

"But he's been insisting on training with his Grandfather since then, stating how he has to grow stronger for the future." Makino explained, making Shanks think thoughtfully.

His grandfather must be Garp, maybe that's why the whole Village depends on him.

"Interesting kid."