020

CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY

020. princess

It doesn't take a genius to know that Kai wasn't a team player.

So, instead of obliging to his grandfather's advice for him to be closer to his unit-- he decided to abandon them instead as he took off to another remotely far island where he had heard that the Strawhat pirates were causing a ruckus on.

And mind you, he received the news a day ago, meaning, as soon as he came onto the island-- they were naturally gone. He hadn't managed his time enough, and it was admittedly his fault for acting so repulsive.

It just interested him, having heard of Luffy's successes and troubles made him he eager to see just how his potential could be now‐- if his assumptions were truly correct.

He wasn't too disappointed to learn they already left to another island, it gave him a reality check. He reminded himself that he wasn't there to fool around and measure people's future. He was there to simply make his own.

So, instead of following them and planning on capturing their heads to turn in like he had originally schemed-- he had let them be for now. He's sure that they'll increase their bounties in a considerably short period of time and then he'll be harvesting a bigger number.

He'll have to keep an eye on Luffy's crew.

As time passed, he realized that walking in Alabasta as a Marine wasn't the most ideal. Not only did the excessive coat make everything so suffocating, but the stares sent his way weren't the most nicest either.

"I'll have a glass of water." He approached a stand, shifting his wait on one leg as he stared at the seller who didn't look so pleased and willing to see him. He can't blame him, he didn't exactly have the best reputation after the actions he pulled with the bounties.

"I'm sorry but we don't serve Marines here."

Kai narrowed his eyes. Is this another form of discrimination then? "You'll have to be more specific than that. I'm intending to pay for the water, you know-- like any other customer."

"We don't serve your kind here."

Those words sounded familiar.

But Kai figured their disdain immediately. "If this is about the Shichibukai incident, then you should know better than to generalize a group." He scowled. "And isn't the problem solved already? By a Marine?"

"It was a pirate who saved us--!" The seller protested only to be hushed down by his peers.

"That's enough." A person tried intervening, grazing the slightly exposed skin on his forearm, making his pupils dilate.

"No, it's not enough." Kai gritted his teeth as he pushed past the intervening people, and perhaps he was physically stronger than he normally was or they were simply weak as they scurried on the ground like rats.