021

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

021. strays

It was not difficult for Kai to collect the bounties he needed. In fact, capturing lowly pirates were as easy as breathing. He could say that maintaining cleanliness was even more difficult than that.

Kai didn't have a specific agenda ever since he was sent out to the sea. He basically just comes and goes as he pleases, occasionally returning to the HQ to meet with the higher-ups and discuss about more business.

Though, evidently-- his patience was not made to last a lifetime. He had been patient enough since he first opened his eyes in this peculiar world. He was first surprised to know that he still had his consciousness, his ability, and his most notable looks and tendencies. 

He liked to say that he was reborn to a better version of himself. Reborn into a body that is his own but is built to bear the power gifted in this world. He can bet that his former body wouldn't have been able to hold Haki, or even practice Rokushiki-- so, this truly was a chance given to him. He now belongs into this world and he was going to make the best out of it.

Depending what best means in his dictionary.

It was not unknown that Kai wasn't particularly fond of weakness. Meaning, he didn't like weak people in battles either-- especially those who run their mouth as if they were someone big.

So, when Garp called him once again to drop by as he was sailing on a ship, having picked up strays and now just wanting to annoy the hell out of his grandson-- Kai wasn't planning to drop by at all. In fact, he was intending to ignore the call.

But having heard that Garp recklessly got stabbed (nothing serious) and that the strays were somewhat familiar in his paperwork, it piqued his interest and he knew he could gain something out of it. An insight.

The distance wasn't too far, and Kai doesn't get exhausted easily with the way he's built now. So, it was no struggle to reach them, boarded in one ship and right at the top decks.

Bullets could easily reach them, he noted subconsciously from the distance. He doubts bullets would actually take a toll on Garp though.

"There he is!" There's that obnoxuous and boisterous voice. It makes Kai want to disassemble his ears.

Seeing two gaping kids by the side, Kai could guess that they were the strays. Was he disappointed? Not really, he already expected them to look like such. They don't even reek off presence.

"I-I-Is that Vice-Admiral Kai?!"

It was only natural for them to stutter under such overwhelming presence, much in contrast to theirs.

"Hard to believe he's younger than you!" Coby whispered frantically to Helmeppo who's legs trembled comically. Garp only laughed loudly.

"Are these the strays you've picked up on the side of the ocean?" Kai was visibly unimpressed as he casted his grandfather a glance, eyes traveling towards the measly wound. "And you even got careless in the process. You're getting old."