Chapter 23 - New Detectives on the Case

Xavier's POV

As I read the words in from the book, everyone else silently listened. Seemingly entranced by the sentences that described the creature that we were up against now.

"That's just about it. The rest just tell what the wendigo looks like along with some past accounts where they were involved." I announced as my eyes scanned through the rest of the chapter about the wendigo.

"Doesn't even say what its weaknesses are." Chase mumbled before sighing out on his spot.

"Mr. Anderson said that he'll reach up to us when he finds something. So until then, we'll just have to make use of the information that we've got." Lucas said in an effort to lift up their spirits.

"And how exactly do we do that??" Aaron asked. "You sais it yourself that it has no scent when you guys tried to find it last time."

"We'll just have to keep our eyes and ears pealed for anyone who's acting suspicious." I suggested.

"Yeah, and how many people live in Timberland by the way??" Chase pointed out. "Also, some teenagers tend to act weird all the time so we're really gonna have a hard time finding out just who the wendigo is."

"Well, maybe not if we really put our heads together." Ellie spoke out. Making my face scrunch up at what she was trying to say.

"What do you mean Ellie??" Lucas asked our sister.

"All I'm saying is that maybe we're kind of looking for this thing at the wrong place."

"I still don't get it." Aaron mumbled with a shrug which just made the she-wolf sigh out in annoyance.

"When did all of this wendigo business actually start with?? Just think about it." She said. Looking at each one of us expectedly.

With my eyebrows nit together, I thought of what she had said. Thinking of what had started this whole thing.

And that's when it struck me.

"The Nemeton." I said, and with that Ellie gave me a nod.

"Exactly." She said. "This thing was drawn towards it like the rest of us. So instead of suspecting the whole town, why don't we just look at the one who was drawn to the nemeton."

"You mean Charlotte. You think that she's the wendigo." Aaron said. Voicing his thoughts.

"I'm not sure, okay?? But as of now she's the only suspect we have since we know that she was also attracted by the nemeton's power." Ellie reason out and honestly What she said was really reasonable. 

"When I talked to her yesterday, she looked very keen on finding the wendigo. Remember that she saw Jace getting eaten by that thing in that vision of hers." Aaron pointed out.

"Well you gotta admit that it's kinda sus that she sees Jace getting attacked and eaten and then yesterday happened." I said my opinion. "I'm not saying that it's her cause we don't know that for sure yet. But as of now she's the only possible suspect we can look up."

"And plus, Mr. Anderson himself said that the information in this book aren't complete. Who knows?? Maybe the wendigo spirit has the ability to alter its host's memory. Making it forget what he or she was." Lucas added. "We can't be sure."

"Good point." Aaron mumbled. "So, what do we do to find out if she's the wendigo??"

Lucas and I went to give each other some knowing looks before turning back to Aaron who just gave us his confused and questioning expression.

"What?? Something on my face or something??" He asked as he went to touch his cheeks to check.

"No, it's just..." I stoped to think on how to tell him. "We can't exactly just gang up on her so suddenly. If she is the wendigo, the spirit might notice that something's up and react badly."