Chapter 71 - Realizations and New Starts

Brody's POV

The night at the packhouse was still young.

While I left Jayden's office to let them explain to the kids of the new situation that they found out we're in, I'd rather just sit by the porch outside.

Letting my mind wonder of the things that happened while downing a much needed bottle of beer.

I was never really one to think about the whole mate or beloved thing, since I was only turned into a vampire, I most likely or most definitely didn't have one.

So I haven't really given it any thought. Of what it could be like. Of how happy it could really make someone since I've already spent years seeing the others happily living out their lives with their other halves. Not that it bothers me.

Or that's what I thought.

Now, I'm just confused. Confused as to why I'm even thinking about this whole other half mambo jumbo.

"The last time I saw this kind of scene was when Jayden was still a brooding teenager." I turned to see Garreth walking up before sitting to the empty spot beside me. "So, care to tell this old wolf what's wrong??"

"Nothing's wrong. I just needed some air. That's all." I said.

He lightly scoffed. "That's also what he told me. Only much.... Now how should I put this??"

"Crabby?? Cranky?? Grouchy?? Grumpy?? You take the pick. I feel like I'm naming four of the seven dwarves here." I didn't even notice when Mikey arrived. "But from what I feel, the same thought that was bothering him is currently bothering you, my friend."

"What do you mean?? Nothing's bothering me." I told him before taking another drink of my beer, only to find out that the bottle's already empty which made me frustratingly sigh out.

"You know that we won't be able to help you if you don't tell us what's wrong." Garreth pointed out.

I looked away. Placing the empty bottle on the floor. "You said you already knew what was bothering me."

"See?? Something was bothering you." Mikey said. "That was just to make you admit that to yourself."

I didn't answer.

And honestly, I didn't even know where to begin to tell them of the thoughts that I've been having.

"Just some personal thoughts. Nothing that can really help us or the pack in any way on what's happening." I said.

"Got it. So does it have to do with a certain detective??" Mikey asked, which made me look at him as he gave me am almost knowing look. "Called it."

"I'm just concerned." I said. "Now that we know that it's Jason who's pulling the strings with the other rogue group, I'm pretty sure that he'll use every dirty trick that he could to throw us off or hurt us. And there's a chance that Cole might not be an exception for that. I was thinking of going to his apartment right now and asking him if he can stay here for the time being."

Mikey gave me a skeptical look. "And you're sure that you're only concerned of his safety?? I mean, his safety is important I know but, is that it??" He asked.

"What else is there??"

"Well you could only be using this chance to keep him close to you."

"Well I don't see anything wrong with that. Cole and I have been close since we were kids." I said. Pausing before speaking in a mere whisper. "We're, close."

Mikey groaned out in frustration. "Garreth, he's being an idiot again. It's your turn to explain."

The older wolf only chuckled as he turned to look at me with those wise eyes. As if contemplating on something before he decides.