The Scorching Deal

Stella's POV

The darkness turns into something so intense that it makes my eyes water. Visions of color fall around me, and the sensation that I'm being scorched alive makes it's way into my mind. Torture, that's what it was to go through a door only meant for one soul.

I scream in agony as the heat threatens to rip apart my body.

I am fire, I am relentless. I will eat you alive and chew your bones slowly.
You dare force your own conditions on a deal not made between you and I? The voice booms out, and I am stunned. So very stunned and in pain. Make it stop, make it stop, make it stop!

"I didn't mean to!" I yell out, my voice scratchy and a mere rasp before more screams erupt from me.

But you have. And for that, you will be my everlasting victim. The sinister voice hums like a whisper in my ear.
More heat ripples against my body, my skin protesting as I shake my head frantically.

"Make a deal with me instead!" I shout, tears shooting down my face.
"Name your terms." I sob as the pain goes silent. Everything is silent. The darkness is a welcome surprise, and I temporarily think that the evil voice may have gone away.

Then it speaks up again.

           Your first born? It rasps out.

        "Oh god no. I'm not having kids." I pant, my legs shaking and my nerves seriously damaged by now.

             Then what do you have to lose? It's putrid voice rattles out, the hairs on the back of my neck are sticking up as I float in this endless darkness.

         Where is Cade?

         "I have... nothing. I have nothing to give you." I say pathetically at last.
       "No happiness, no part of me that will bloom... nothing that you can steal. I'm an empty void. And now I have no mother." My voice cracks at the end as I let my head hang in shame. I am nothing without Lizzy, without mother, without those who love me.

            I hear an empty hiss of a laugh.

       Then we have something in common, you and I. The thing says in utter glee at my hopelessness. I'm tempted to curse at it, but I'm too terrified to move. To even breathe wrong.

            Fine. There is one other thing I'm willing to trade in exchange for a new deal with new terms.

         I hope Cade is alright.

         An errand, per say, up in the human realm.

         "You'll— you'll set us free from Settrinos?" I ask hesitantly.
     In response, it barks out a harsh cold laugh.

       No.
   No, this deal is simply for my mercy. I won't keep you or your friend for an eternity in my hold.
      You have no need for my help beyond that... it'd cost more anyway. 

       My heart cracks a little in the cruelty, in the inhumane nature of this thing.

      However, you need not fret. Your king is coming— and with an armada too.

        He lets out that harsh laughter again, like claws dragging against my rib cage, I squirm in discomfort.

           No, I'm sure he'll get you out of this mess your friend put you in.

       Cade? He's talking about Cade. But... what had Cade done to put me in Settrinos? My eyebrow twitched in disbelief, yet, I had a strong feeling that this thing hadn't uttered one lie yet.

           I'll simply put you somewhere to be picked up, you and this Cade.
   His ancient voice continues to rasp out.

          "The errand?" I question, afraid to say too much.

        I will tell you when the time is right. I can hear a smile in its tone.
      A malicious, frightening smile. Probably sharp toothed too.
When your king comes to get you, and you leave this realm— you will have no memory of anything. This will seem like a fever dream, and you and all of your companions will be separated amongst humans. You must find each other, and wait for my instruction on your task.

              "Blake isn't coming." I mumble, having been in that holding cell too long. I'd lost all faith in seeing the sun again, and it had only been a day. It felt much longer, much more intense and much more disheartening.

                 The thing made a 'tsk'ing sound.

          I would hope so, after all, he's giving up the throne to have the help of an undeniable power figure. Your little king has given up his birthright to save his little damsel. It mocks me as I suddenly feel the refreshing winds of hope. I also feel guilt for feeling this way at the thought of what he had to give up— everything he was training for... gone. Just for me.

         I swallow.

        "Cade and I walk free from your clutches, and into no one or nothing else's clutches. We simply wait patiently unharmed until Blake reaches us?" I wait for its answer, heart thrumming in anticipation.

You think me a deceiver?

"Yes." I say bluntly.

Good. It says in amusement.
No trickery here. Your king is almost here, he's already breached the first ring of Settrinos... you and your traitorous friend will have my word.

I pant, excitement leaking through my every pore. A way out of this hellhole— with terms of course but god I needed familiar faces. I needed to have a breakdown over everything that's happened... had they begun the process of my moms funeral? I needed out.

"Fine. Yes. Deal." I say breathless, waiting.

Very well. It says slowly.

Then, just like it had began, the intense scorching was upon me again. My pain knew no end nor middle nor beginning. My screams were endless and the vibrant color waves were back. Iridescence, blues, pinks, purples, blues, any color you could name was surrounding me.

Surrounding us.

A body appeared next to me in the vibrancy and I knew exactly who it was.

Cade.

And I knew I needed to have a talk with him. Very soon. And very serious.