His Very Destruction

Stella's POV

                We land on grassy floors in an open field. Endless dark skies and stars are upon us, but I can't shake the feeling that there are still hideous creatures lurking amongst us.
          Cade is on his stomach, and I immediately spring into action; I roll him onto his back and look over his injuries, his face paler than its ever been.

His black eye and bloody bruised lip were still purple, but the blood on his face had stopped already. His torso however, was a different story. I wince as I start to peel his shirt over his abdomen, the blood making areas more sticky than others.
He groans out in pain, eyes squinting up at me.

"Stella?" He says in confusion.

I stare at his stomach, observing the three claw marks that were now open into a gory wound. The blood was seeping out, bits and pieces of meat peaking up at me. It was an effort not to hurl.

         "Why did you do this?" I ask quietly, sitting on my knees next to him. His blonde hair ruffles in the dead wind, and I can see his struggle to swallow.
Blood. Blood would heal him and help him get better.

I shove my wrist toward his lips as his one not swollen eye shoots me a look in shock.
He hesitates, But then, without another thought his teeth pierce into my skin.

I hiss in pain as the blood drizzles down his chin and I'm instantly repulsed. The urge to throw up is stronger than ever, and I'm not one to be easily queasy with blood.

After a couple gulps, he heals my wrist and opens his mouth to speak.

"You're disgusted because I'm not your mate. If it was him, it would probably turn into an R rated movie." He makes a lame attempt at a joke, but my mind is still reeling off of what that demon had told me in the trapped darkness.

"Why did you do this?" I just repeat. He sighs and sits up slowly, glancing at his now healed wounds.

"I had to come get you. I didn't know the extremity—" I cut him off as he began to play the hero card.

"No. Why did you betray us in the first place. You betrayed your king." I eye him with slowly burning anger. Was he at fault for my moms death? No, surely he doesn't control the council!

He flinches at my accusatory glare.

"I guess this is something Nutella can't fix." He says lowly.

Not the time, dude.

"Look, it wasn't anything against you, I swear. It's just... Castine." He says, his eyes averting to the ground quickly.

"She's stuck in a seven year olds body." I furrow my eyebrows. "You did this as a romantic gesture?" And for the third time within those five minutes, I wanted to hurl out my guts.

"No. Not a romantic gesture. She's my best friend.... And I'm her savior from her curse." He says, eyes welling up in tears.
"This is something I'd just found out— betrayal isn't something I plot over my breakfast waffles, okay?" He says frustrated, pulling at his blonde hair.

"I can't let her live her life stuck because of something her mom did. It isn't right." He continues to ramble.
"She's always been there for me... so when Leviathan promised the curse to be broken as long as I'd betrayed you... I jumped at the opportunity." His head hung in shame, tears falling out of his eyes.
"I'm sorry. I immediately regretted it as soon as I saw what they did to your mother— I didn't know the council would find out—" he tries to continue but gets cut off as I stand abruptly.

"You're the reason they killed my mother?!" My eyes will up with unshed tears as my chest fills with disgust. He looks shaken as he shakes his head.

"I just gave your mom the note! I told her where you were, and that you were with a boy! I didn't even know she was an Emmortal... I didn't even know the council had been listening in on her and were hunting emmortals. This was all Leviathans plan! He must've known—" he scrambles for a breath but I'm already sobbing.

"It must be so easy for you to blame your faults on everyone around you!" I cry out, the tears distorting my vision as my face crumbles, emotion taking me over.

"I swear by it! I wouldn't do something that extreme to break her curse— I- I—" he struggles for words but my face breaks out into a snarl.

"You didn't just do this to me or my mom... you've done this to Blake... to my sister... and believe it or not, I'm sure Castine would've wanted her curse to end in a much more peaceful way." I sob.

"No. No. You don't get to say that." He stands with me.
"You weren't there those nights she held that blade to her throat and asked me to finish the job!" He growls out.
"You met the fun and easy going Castine-" he throws his arms out in faux joy.
"Yeah? Well I knew the suicidal Castine, the lifeless, hopeless and dulled out Castine. I held her as she cried for anything but her fate. This was the only way." He snaps at me, but I'm too busy pacing the grass floor to even process his words.

My head is spinning and I didn't know if I truly did blame my mother's death on Cade. Maybe I just needed to blame someone and since he was already there... it made it easier. To push someone around, speak poison and release it from my heart.

Maybe it wasn't all just Cade's fault.

I was pinning it on him instead of thinking of the council. Thinking of those faces that had held poker faces as my mother's head had been ripped clean off of her shoulders.

I feel bitterness on my tongue as I mull my thoughts over, not even listening to Cade's rant continuing.

No, I'd get my revenge.

Not on him... but on those who'd plotted against the most loving woman I'd known.

It was me against the Council.