Chapter 12 ~ "Go Home"

I'm so late for work, I stayed way too late at the library and I need to be to work in twenty minutes. 

I reach the top of the stairs and hurry down, unlocking my apartment door. It was dark inside, I didn't think anyone would be home around now anyway. It was Wednesday, Mark was at football, Dustin had a night class and Walker usually wasn't home around now most nights. 

I was becoming familiar with just how much of a gym rat Walker really was, if he could, he liked to work out twice a day, he liked jogs, ate the same health-balanced meals the same days each week. It was truly the work of a psychopath and a brain so full of routines and order that it made me feel nauseous. 

I open the door to the apartment and before I can shut it I can hear the worst sound humanly possible. A headboard slamming into the wall, even squeaks of a mattress, panting and moans. I just stand frozen in the entryway, they're coming from down the hall and I want to barf. 

I turn back and check the keys on the ledge, what surprises me is that Walkers aren't here. I think it speaks badly of me that he's immediately who I assumed it was. I sigh in relief and then feel a jolt run up my spine, hearing gasping and some girl nearly yelling. I look at the only set there and see Mark's student ID hanging from them. 

Ew.

I need to leave now, I kick off my sneakers and hurry down the hall quietly. I need my work stuff, I'll have to pretend I can't hear them while I grab my things. I can hear it really ramping up as I run past his door and move to shut my own. 

Even in there it doesn't die down, it's getting louder every second I'm here. I drop my school bag and transfer the few things I need into my work bag. I can change at the pool, I just need to get out of my apartment.

I hurry back to the entry and put my shoes back on, rushing out and back up the steps after locking the door.

"Annie?" I hear and I watch Walker step out of his car, keys in hand. "What's wrong? You look like you're going to puke."

"I-I'm fine." I stutter unconvincingly. "Look, don't go inside. Mark's got a girl over." I tell him and he chuckles, raising his eyebrows.

"They're banging, huh?" 

"Loudly." I nod, still feeling my chest heave, my mind race. 

"Where are you off to?"

"I-I'm really late for work, I only swung by to grab my bag......I didn't know what I was walking into." I sigh, shaking my head.

"I'll bring you." He shrugs and I gulp. 

"Um....no, it's okay, I-I think the walk might be good for me." I mutter, waving my hands and he smiles.

"Annie, I don't want to go in there either and I need to burn some time." He tells me and I shrug, he had a point after all. "Come on." He nods to his car and I check my phone, shit if he didn't take me I might not make it on time. 

"Okay." I sigh, walking around quickly and scrambling into the car.

"What's the matter?" He asks, looking amused.

"Oh come on, you know." I tell him, crossing my arms and he starts the car.

"It's just sex, Annie. Lots of people have sex." He tells me, pulling out of the driveway.

"I'm well aware that lots of people have sex, I'm also aware that with four of us living under one roof, it's bound to happen." I shrug. "It's not that I need someone to tell me or anything and believe me, I really would rather not know," I tell him, putting a hand up and he laughs. "I just respect the privacy around it, I guess."