Chapter 57 ~ "You're Everyone's Favourite Person"

WARNING! Mature themes ahead!

So I might have overdone it with the punch, but she really did deserve it. When I came back in she was no where to be found, Chloe was the only one from their group who'd stuck around. That's when Abby informed me she'd made them leave.

"She was so nasty and I'd had enough of her raising hell." She whispered and I couldn't help but agree.

Walker gave me another beer, trying to gloss over how hard this night had been already. He continued to put his hand on my hip or back showing anyone who passed us that we were together. The word's going to get around in the next few days but I don't care.

Everything was going much better until Chase appeared in the kitchen for the first time all night. He seemed to pause when he saw me, looking confused, stressed, but amazed all at the same time. Then it was woven with sadness once he realized I was with Walker.

Chase did have real valid feelings for me in the fall, they were incredibly ill-timed and inappropriate but they did exist. I felt bad for him finding out this way.

"I should talk to him." I mumble and Walker keeps his grip on my arm.

I knew why Walker wasn't okay with that, he's the one who pulled Chase off me and shoed him away when he came to my front door. He'd really been there for me when Chase was being too creepy for comfort.

"It's just a quick conversation." I whisper.

"Then I want to come." He counters and I shake my head.

"I should talk to him alone, I won't leave the kitchen but......I want to put this to bed. I think I'll do it best alone." I explain, looking up at him and watching him weigh his options. He looks conflicted but ultimately nods.

"Okay." He sighs. "I'll be over here if you need me."

Chase looked no different then the last time I'd seen him, his season is over now so he looks a little more well-rested. I walk over slowly and he scratches the back of his neck uncomfortably.

"Hey." He starts and I nod.

"Hi."

This couldn't be more awkward, but it needed to be done.

"I haven't seen you in a while." He says, looking down at the ground and I clear my throat.

"A big part of it was being away." I shrug. "B-but some of it was me trying to give you space."

He just nods silently and I chew the inside of my cheek, waiting for his response. "I kind of figured." He admits, eying Walker from the other side of the kitchen. "Word on the street is that the two of you are dating."

"The street's right." I shrugged. "For a while now."

"Hmm." He nods, looking a bit confused. "Didn't see that one coming."

"Nobody did, not even me." I assure him and he cracks an easy smile. "But......that doesn't mean I'm not happy about it."

A brief silence passes between us, neither of us sure what to say. There were no right answers here.

"Look Annie......I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am for that night at Apex." He says quietly, looking nervous. "I'd had a lot to drink and I misread the situation."

"I understand." I nod. I won't forgive him, but I can move past it.

"I won't lie, I had a massive crush on you." He says quietly, cheeks flushing. "I thought we would have been great together."

"I didn't know until you told me." I shrug. A total lie, I definitely knew and tried to avoid it.

"I know." He sighs, shaking his head. "I just......I liked hanging out with you a lot, you made me laugh all the time and I thought you hanging out with me so much meant you liked me."