CHAPTER 40

Shay's POV

The next morning, I started to get ready to meet up with Aria Langford in town. She had texted me earlier this morning the place where we would meet, it was a popular café that I know of that I usually go to with some of my friends. Even when she's requesting to meet at somewhere in public and she's going to tell me some things about Jason, I still have this weird feeling that I got from last night after our phone call. It's so weird and very unsettling but Jason is the only man in my life that I've ever been in love with, so if there are some things about him that I should be aware of even when he can't tell me, I guess learning about a few things from his ex-girlfriend won't hurt at all. Though it's pretty annoying.

I wore a dark red silky top with thin spaghetti straps with a low cut, and a black short skirt that ends at my mid thighs. I part my hair in the middle and tied it back in a low ponytail, leaving out two long hair strands in the front to frame my face. I did my makeup and when I'm finally done, I put on my black stilettos and grabbed my clutch bag before leaving the house. It's not an effort to look prettier in front of my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend, I always have to look good when I'm out in public because you never know when the paparazzi could pop up and start taking unexpected pictures of you.

I got into my car and started driving to town, it took about 25 minutes to drive through town and get to that café. I don't even know what she looks like but she told me not to worry about it coz she knows what I look like and she'll let me know when I arrive. I parked my car outside and went inside the café, there were a few people sitting inside and I quickly looked around for anyone that might look like someone named Aria Langford. A hand shoots up and starts waving me over and that's when I saw her. I was caught off-guard by how pretty she actually looks like, and her eyes stands out even more. They were grey and kinda catlike. She was sitting in a corner with a cup of coffee in front of her, wearing a black sleeveless dress and she has brown curly hair falling down her shoulders. She looks very familiar.

I walked over to her and sat down with a straight face on while she smiles at me.

"Aria, right?" She slowly nods her head.

"You're a lot prettier than the photo in the article." I was taken aback by her sudden compliment.

"Thanks." She gave a half smile.

"Actually, I've seen you before. We ran into each other yesterday, at C&E Holdings. I was there to see Jason."

It finally clicks. I remember her now, she was the one that got off the elevator just when I was about to leave and I thought she was one of Jason's clients. Wait.....why did she meet Jason yesterday?

"I'll just tell you what I'm here for. I also didn't know I'd be the one in this pathetic position." I frowned in confusion.

"When Jason and you broke up, did you part on bad terms? Is this why you wanted to meet me so you can badmouth him to me?"

She chuckled and lifts her coffee to her lips and took a small sip.

"You're so funny, I'm not here to do that. This is what I'm actually gonna tell you so listen very carefully." She leans closer towards the table and looked me straight in the eyes.

"Jason is the type of guy that will make you fall in love with him and the next thing you realize, you're thinking of marriage. If you're starting to think that way, than you better think twice about your decision."

I just gave her a long stare. This wasn't what I was expecting to hear from her.

"He's a man that's obsessed with payback. If something goes wrong or if someone behaved in a way that he doesn't like, no matter who they are, he will definitely do something to get back at them. Apologies don't easily work on him, he will not leave you alone until he's fully done with you and he can even use your own weaknesses against you! He had a small disagreement with my father, and because of that he approached me and asked me out. I fell in love with him but then I realized that every topic we've discussed, every conversation we've had, he always has a way to bring my father up. Asking questions like where does he usually go to during weekends, who are his most important clients, who are his closest business allies and friends? He needed that to find a way to bring my father down and permanently ruin something important for him. My parents found out that he was behind every damage he had caused to our company, and so they opposed us. But till today, I still said I would."

That.....doesn't sound right. Jason is not that type of person is he?

Everything she said seems like the truth and a small part of me have started to believe her but why can't I still accept it? The Jason she's describing is like a whole different person from the Jason I know. Another thing that got me feeling troubled is when she said that she kept telling her parents that she will break up with Jason when they already have. It's like she still wants them to think that she's still dating him but why? When she just told me what Jason have done to her. She told me about Jason's real motive, but what's her real motive for telling me all this?

"Do you still like him?" I finally decided to ask her. She just stared back at me without answering my question and that was my cue to press her for more.

"You still want him back don't you? If I break up with him, you're going to try to get back together with him aren't you?" She chuckled and glanced to the side while tucking a loose hair strand behind her ear.

"You seriously don't get the point. I'm trying to advise you to be careful when you're with him."

"Well I reject your advice. I understand why Jason broke up with you now, even after he left you he was a man that you once loved. Do you really want to be saying these things about him?" She scoffs out loud and before she could say something, I quickly beat her to it.

"I've met his mom already. She's a really sweet and kind person and even though I haven't been introduced to his dad yet, I could tell his parents have a good conjugal harmony. I like that and I know they didn't raise Jason up to be the kind of person that you're telling me. Anyway, thanks for your advice. Finding somebody else's number and calling them is weird and uncomfortable. So my advice to you is to never call me again and delete my number after I leave this café."

She starts glaring at me and I stood up from my chair and adjusted the strap of my bag on my shoulder while looking down at her with a tight lipped smile.

"It was nice to meet you Aria but I hope we never see each other again."

*******

"Why are some people like that? Why can't they just move on and let people be happy with their relationship?" Sylvia yawned over the line and I rolled my eyes.

I was slowly making my way back inside the house and she decided to call me because she was bored at the salon where she's getting her hair done.

"I know right? They're probably just not happy to see their ex-boyfriend being happy with someone new." She lazily replied.

"Are you falling asleep again?"

"I'm so freaking tired! This lady is taking so long in getting my hair done and I'm supposed to meet mom for lunch in thirty minutes."

I chuckled and went up the staircase. I wish my life was like hers, even when she's out living her life independently without accepting any form of help from her parents, she still go out to meet them for lunch or visit them at their home during some weekends.

"Meeting once a week in enough, why is she asking to meet again?"

"At least your mom wants to see you. Mine just can't wait to ship me off to some rich eligible bachelor's home to become their wife or even to be their mistress. It's not like she would care anyway."

She laughed and I opened the door to my bedroom and walked in. I dropped my clutch bag on the floor and plopped down on my bed. Just when I was about to close my eyes, a text popped up on the screen of my phone and I opened one eye to read it.

"Are you still there?"

"Yeah, I'm listening. I just got a text from Jason's mom, she wants to meet me at Jason's place tomorrow." She cooed teasingly.

"Wow. Already establishing a good relationship with your future mother-in-law huh?"

I closed my eyes again and placed the phone near my ear.

"Maybe she wants to talk about something important. Anyway, I'm going to sleep now. Meeting Jason's ex-girlfriend today drained the living energy out of me."

"Okay, bye! I'll call you later."

I ended the call and switched off my phone and threw it on the side. I turned over to lie on my back and drowsily stared up at the ceiling. No matter how much I wanted to shrug it off, her words still rings in my ear and now, it's giving me a really bad feeling that I'm starting to question my relationship with Jason right now.