CHAPTER 43

~1 WEEK LATER~

Shay's POV

Bad things always happen, people try to forget and move on and that's actually what I kept reminding myself when Monday finally comes around. Since it's my first day at work, I decided to try a new change. My mom called her team of hairdressers and makeup artists to be here early in the morning and they did a whole makeover to me. Since my hair is naturally straight and long, they trimmed it right up to my shoulders and curled it. I told them to change my makeup to something darker to emphasize boldness and by the time they were done, I barely recognized myself and that was a good thing. I wore my new outfit that I bought the other day, which was a black pencil skirt and a light thin strap top along with a black long blazer.

I drove to the company in my new dark blue Hyundai GV80 but along the way, I suddenly remembered that I was supposed to meet someone first before going to work this morning. I make a U-turn and drove to the café where we're going to meet. I was the first to arrive and I ordered myself a cup of coffee and waited for him to get here. He finally showed up about ten minutes later, dressed in a grey fitting suit with his hair perfectly styled and looking cool as always. He approached my table and sat down on the empty chair in front of me while staring at me in surprise.

"Wow." Chase said with a smile on his face.

"What?"

"Are you facing some hardship or something? Why did you change your hair?" He asked teasingly and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You knew didn't you?" He raised a questioning brow at me.

"Knew what?"

"You knew about Jason's real motive in asking me out. You called me that day to tell me but you didn't say anything. Why?"

He shifted awkwardly in his seat and cleared his throat loudly while looking to the side.

"Normally, the person closest to him would be the last one to hear it. How could I tell you?" I scoffed and sipped my coffee.

"You did the right thing by not telling me, if you did I would've thought you were being kind."

He chuckled in a sarcastic way. "I'm not that kind. Even if I'm naïve sometimes."

He looked away and I caught the distant look in his eyes.

"Are you going to keep working with Jason?"

"Why?" He shot back with a curious tone.

"Since you found out before I did, I bet you confronted him about it and you guys probably fought too. We both got betrayed by the same person, people don't easily change. He even told me the real reason why he used me, it's all because of my dad."

He started to laugh and leaned back in his chair.

"He really told you? Wow, he really went honest with you huh." I glared at him.

"You can laugh in this situation?"

"Then should I cry?" He shot back with a hard look on his face and I refrained from snapping back.

"I also had an ulterior motive in agreeing to an arranged marriage with you. I was going to marry you for economic reasons, but we're still good right?" He said with a smirk.

"Our whole lives are all about economics."

"So?"

"Get rid of him. He may be your business partner but you own the whole company, it wouldn't be so hard for you to run a business on your own. Unless, you're that dependent on him."