CHAPTER 52

Shay's POV

The doctors finally moved dad to his own private room, he was still unconscious but Dr. Ram assured us that it's not a critical condition and once he'll wake up they'll examine him once more. Mom was putting on a hysterical act with crocodile tears on display and deep affection for dad's condition and all, I almost believed her myself. We were only inside the room for about 20 minutes till she told us to leave so she can be alone with him for a while. I went downstairs to the hospital's cafeteria to get some coffee and to my surprise, Shelby was also there, sitting alone in the corner and staring idly at the cup of coffee in her hands.

I thought she already went back to work?

I approached her table and I sat down on the empty chair in front of her and her eyes quickly snapped up to mine. She rolled her eyes to the side and leaned her back against her chair.

"Dad should be okay in a few days right?" She angrily scowled at me.

"Are you kidding? The guy collapsed and he's not going to get back on his feet in just a few days and act fine again. He needs to stay here and completely recover, I'll take care of the company myself."

Of course. This was yet another opportunity for her to gain control and have things her way.

"Why do I get the feeling that you don't want dad to recover soon so you can do whatever you want at work?" She scoffs out loud and fold her arms across her chest.

"Excuse me?"

"I mean, this is your chance right? He still hasn't decided what to do with Shawn's position yet and I bet you would do anything to prove to him that you're capable to run the company on your own like how Shawn did."

"I would hate to disagree with you since you know me so well." She replied with a smirk.

"Is being an executive director not good enough for you?" She casually shrugged her shoulders.

"Honey, you don't know anything at all about being an executive director. Wait till you're in my position then you'll know what it's like for always being a second option in everything."

An idea suddenly popped into my head and I stared at the brown plastic cup in my hands. I wouldn't say that it would be a best idea but it wouldn't hurt to try it, if it'll make her stop underestimating me that much.

"Yeah, you're right. I don't know anything at all about your job in the company but I'd like to see how that work." Her eyes slowly narrows into slits.

"What do you mean?"

"I'd like to take over your position if dad allowed you to have Shawn's." She burst out laughing.

"Are you serious? You really think it's that easy? It took me 5 years of hard work to gain this position so what makes you think you can easily have it if you did nothing but ask?"

"You really think I can't do it?"

"Yes and I don't think you're that capable to handle the type of work that I'm doing. But I'd like to see you try little sis."

I clenched my fist under the table and then gave her a tight lipped smile.

"I'll prove it to you then. If I manage to get a good result for my SFO sales project this month and show it to dad, I'll ask him to make me the new executive director instead of you. That is, if he hasn't appoint you to be the next CEO by then. Once I get your position and settle in and find out that your job is really not that hard to handle, I'd say you were just too greedy for power to get a higher social status for yourself."

I noticed her fingers slightly tightens around the cup in her hand and I inwardly smiled in satisfaction. I finally got her where I wanted now.

"In a month huh?" I nod my head.