Chapter 17: Ethan

College has been grueling this week, not the class work, that I seem to be coping pretty well, but training has been stepped up because we are getting closer to the start of the season. The last thing I feel like doing today is going ice skating but Sienna is very persuasive plus I get to see Mia, I even get to pick her up thanks to Jake.

Their relationship or whatever you want to call it, confuses me. They seem very close and Jake is very protective of her. I have never seen him act this way around a girl before. He's always been somebody that likes to sleep around, not settle for a girl, not that having Mia around has stopped that completely but he does seem different lately. But then the next minute he's getting me to pick her up, if he wanted more, than you'd think he'd offer to get her.

I make my way into the bathroom to get ready for the day. It's already 11am but I needed the extra sleep after the week I've had. It's starting to get a little cooler at night but still warm during the day but since we are going to be at the rink, I need to dress appropriately. So dressed in a dark pair of jeans and plain shirt, I grab my jacket as I'll need it later. I'm meant to be picking up Mia at 1.

I make my way downstairs and can here to guys in the kitchen, which is where I'm headed since I slept through breakfast. Surprisingly they have a whole feast ready to eat. I can tell they have just heated the leftovers from last night and added in some bacon, eggs and grilled tomato, I mustn't have been the only one sleep in today.

After a round of hello's, everyone grabs a plate and filling it up and making our way into the lounge. We start to discuss the plan for today. Jake and Alex are going to pick up Sienna and Raya and I'm heading to get Mia and then we are meeting together at the rink at the college. They allow the players to use the rink when it's not being used for practice which works out well because going to public one means crowds and lots of kids, this way we have the space to do what we like.

Alex goes upstairs to have a nap because apparently he was up early, this leaving just Jake and I in the lounge room. I decide to ask the question that has been on my mind lately "So what's up with you and Mia?"

"What do you mean? We're friends who work together. She's a nice girl and doesn't know anybody and her and Sienna get on well, which we all know if rare" I have to agree Sienna doesn't make friends easily, she very picky with who she chooses to get close. "Why do you ask?"

I can hear the humour in his voice when he questions me, I think he's picked up that I seem to have been a little taken by Mia since I met her. "Nothing, you just seem close that's all. I've never seen you like that with a girl before unless you're trying to get in their pants but you normally give up after a week if she turns you down"

"We ain't like that, she's more like a sister to me. She seems to have been through a lot in her past and needs a friend or 2 that she can rely on, so I'm just trying to be that for her. She's just easy to talk too and we get along but that's it. That's what you wanted to hear right, that there is nothing between us like that" he laughs, yeah he's definitely seen how I look at her, but what he just said about her past has raised more questions, what does he know about her past, she's always been guarded and avoided talking about it.

"Yeah yeah, whatever. She seems like a nice girl and yeah I wouldn't mind getting to know her. Like you said before she's gorgeous and seems really smart and you can tell her sister means everything to her" I can't help but smile when I talk about Mia.

"Alright lover boy, it's nearly time to go, just be careful with her. I can tell she has some baggage from her past so treat her right" he says as he gets up and walks up the stairs where I'm assuming he is going to get Alex.

I make my way to Mia's apartment, which isn't too far from the rink. I manage to park my car not to far from her building and send her a text to let her know I'm here. I hop out of my car and check my phone while I wait. After about 5 minutes I begin to worry as she hasn't come down and I know she read my message. I can't even go up and see if she's ok because I don't know what apartment is hers, so I guess I just have to wait. After a couple more minutes I hear the door open from her apartment building and see her walking towards me.