Chapter 40: Ethan

Sienna and Raya have been here for about half hour now so we are just waiting on Mia. It's unlike her to be late, but maybe she is just finishing off the dessert, she is a perfectionist so that wouldn't surprise me. We are all just sitting around having a drink with the tv on the game in the background.

"Have you heard from Mia?" Jake asks "It's not like her to be late."

He has a point and I am starting to worry a little, she is now over an hour late and I have checked my phone a million times to see if she has tried to call or messaged me but nothing. I shake my head to let Jake know that I haven't. I pull my phone out of my pocket and get up off the lounge to walk towards the kitchen to give me a little privacy. I dial her number and it goes straight to voice mail. I send her a text quickly asking her when she thinks she'll be here but it's not even read.

I walk back into the lounge and let them know that its going straight to voice mail and she hasn't read my message. Sienna automatically takes out her phone and I'm assuming she tries to call Mia also. "Straight to voicemail too" she lets us know as she hangs up the phone. I don't know what to do, what if something has happened to her. I need to go to her place and make sure she's ok. I grab my keys and start walking to the door when I hear footsteps behind me "I'm coming with" I heard Jake say. I don't answer him, I got straight to the elevator. I need to get to her place quick, I have a bad feeling about this.

As soon as the elevator doors open I step in and press the basement button constantly. I need this thing to move, I need to get to Mia's place. Nothing is said in the elevator between Jake and I. As soon as we reach the basement I nearly jog over to my car and start it up before Jake is even in his seat. "What do you think has happened to Mia?" Jake questions me. "Not sure but I need to know she's ok"

I take the quickest route to her apartment and luckily there is a park just down the road. As soon as the car is stopped both Jake and I are out of the car and moving fast towards the steps to her apartment. Taking 2 steps at a time we race up the stairs. Once we arrive, I start banging on the door, calling her name, calling out to Ella. But there is nothing. Not a sound. Jake tries the door handle but it's locked.

"What the hell is going on" Jake more so says to himself. I grab my phone and dial her number again, straight to voicemail again. I bang again, yelling her name. Where the hell is she. I hear a door open and it's the next door neighbour.

"If you're looking for the girls who live there, they seemed to leave in a hurry a couple of hours ago" the older lady tells us

I turn towards her "What do you mean left?" I question maybe a little to harshly but I'm so confused right now.

"I saw them walking down the stairs with about 3 suitcases and a couple of boxes. Looked like they were moving out. It's a shame, they were such nice girls, nice and quiet"

Moving out. No, why would she leave and not tell me. This can't be happening again. I thought we were in a good place. Why would she do this. I start pacing up and down the hallway, I'm so angry "Thank you. Come on Ethan, let's go home and try and figure this out" Jake comes and guides me down the stairs and into the car. He hopped into the drivers seat which is good, I'm in no state to drive.

We arrive back at our apartment and I feel lost. I just don't understand. I head straight up to my room and grab Mia's present from my bedside drawer. I pull the wrapping paper off and open the box. Tracing the letter with my finger, all I can think about is her. I feel a single tear run down my cheek. There is a soft knock at the door but I don't answer but the door opens and whoever has entered my room comes and sits next to me.

I can tell it's Jake "You ok?" I don't say anything keeping my eyes fixated on the necklace. "There has to be a reason why she left. We'll keep trying to get in contact with her. Maybe something happened to a friend or family and she had to leave in a rush and she turned her phone off. She wouldn't do this. She loves you, you know that" He pats my back and leaves.

It's been 3 days and still no word from Mia. I've called her every day but the problem now is that he phone isn't going to voicemail anymore, it's been disconnected. She can't do this to me, she can't just leave. She wouldn't. There has to be a reason and I won't stop until I find out why.

I didn't even go to my parents for Christmas. Jake arrived back today but I haven't spoken to him. I don't want to leave my room. My door suddenly opens and Jake is standing there.

"I need to tell you something and I'm not sure you're going to like it" Jake starts. I don't say a word so he continues "Mia told me something that happened when you went to your folks for Thanksgiving. She didn't want to tell you because well. I don't even know how to tell you. Your dad tried to pay her off. Gave her a cheque for 100 grand to get out of your life. She didn't take it, she ripped it up, she would never do that to you. But I thought you needed to know. I wanted to tell you when she told me but I promised I wouldn't"

I don't say a word. I grab my phone and call the one person that can give me answers, hopefully. It takes a couple of rings before he picks up and when he does I have no time for pleasantries "Did she cash the cheque?" I need to know if she left for the money, if what we have, well had was really. "No she hasn't" that's all I need to heard so I hang up. She didn't leave for the money so what the hell happened. I miss her so much, I need her in my arms. I need to find her. I just need her.