The King Is Dead

[King's Landing - Red Keep]

Ned Stark was walking in the halls with two of his guards.

"Where is Ser Kormed?"

"I believe he went to the Steelkeep, Lord Stark, to see his nephew." One of the guards replied.

"That's strange. He was supposed to report to me earlier."

"Lord Stark, a moment? Alone, if you will." Renly said, entering.

There was a pause between the two as Ned regarded Renly. He then nodded to his guards, who walked off.

"He named you Protector of the Realm."

"He did."

"She won't care. Give me an hour and I can put a hundred swords at your command." Renly spoke of his good sister with obvious contempt.

"And what should I do with a hundred swords?"

"Strike! Tonight while the castle sleeps. We must get Joffrey away from his mother and into our custody. Protector of the Realm or no, he who holds the King holds the Kingdom. Every moment you delay gives Cersei another moment to prepare. By the time Robert dies, it will be too late for the both of us."

"What about Stannis?"

"Saving the Seven Kingdoms from Cersei and delivering them to Stannis? You have odd notions about protecting the realm."

"Stannis is your older brother." Ned told him, looking frustrated.

"This isn't about the bloody line of succession! That didn't matter when you rebelled against the Mad King; it shouldn't matter now."

Ned slowly began realizing what Renly was getting at.

"What's best for the Kingdoms? What's best for the people we rule? We all know what Stannis is. He inspires no love or loyalty. He's not a King. I am."

Ned looked surprised while Renly stared at him expectantly.

"Stannis is a commander." Ned was now losing his patience.

Renly looked frustrated that Ned wasn't listening to what he believed was reason.

"He's led men into war twice. He destroyed the Greyjoy fleet."

"Yes, he's a good soldier; everyone knows that. So was Robert. Tell me something: Do you still believe good soldiers make good kings?"

Ned was at a loss for words. Renly regarded him shrewdly as he thought for a moment.

"I will not dishonor Robert's last hours by shedding blood in his halls and dragging frightened children from their beds."

With that, Ned walked off, leaving behind an agitated Renly.

[Hand of The King's Chambers]

Ned was now in his office, writing a letter to Stannis Baratheon. Tomard stood in front of him awaiting his orders.

"You will sail to Dragonstone tonight. You will place this in the hand of Stannis Baratheon. Not his steward, not his Captain of the Guard, and not his wife. Only Stannis himself." He handed the finished letter to Tomard.

"Yes, My Lord."

Littlefinger entered the room.

"Now leave us."

Tomard bowed and left, closing the door behind him.

"My Lord protector." Littlefinger bowed.

"The King has no true born sons. Joffrey and Tommen are Jaime Lannister's bastards."