Escape

[The Riverlands, Stark Camp]

The Stark war camp was quiet. Ser Alton Lannister reported to King Robb Stark while Lord Rickard Karstark, Lord Roose Bolton, and other councilors looked on.

"And what did she say?"

"She admired your spirit, Your Grace."

"And what then?"

"She, uh..."

"If every man were held accountable for the actions of every distant relative, Ser Alton, we'd all hang."

"She tore the paper in half, Your Grace."

"You've acted with honor. I thank you for it. Lord Karstark, see that Ser Alton's pen is clean, and give him a hot supper."

"Ser Alton's pen is occupied, Your Grace. The prisoners from the Yellow Fork." Rickard Karstark told him.

"Too many prisoners." Roose said. He still wanted to flay them, but Robb continued to deny his request.

"Is there room for Ser Alton?" Robb asked.

"Does he need to lie down?" Karstark asked.

"Have the men build him a new pen. Put him in with the Kingslayer for now. Have your boy watch over them."

"Torrhen."

Torrhen moved forward to take charge of his newly-assigned ward.

"That will be all."

Torrhen grabbed Alton's shoulder and leads him out of the tent, followed by his father, Rickard Karstark and the other councilors. Roose Bolton stayed behind. He moved to speak to Robb when Lady Talisa Maegyr entered. She was wearing a blood-stained apron and wiping her hands with a rag in similar condition.

"Your Grace. A minute of your time?"

Roose left, eyeing Talisa as he did.

"I've been treating your wounded men."

"And my enemies, as some of my bannermen are fond of mentioning."

"They're not my enemies."

"That's what I tell my bannermen."

"I've already run through the supplies I brought with me. Some are easily replaced. Egg yolks, turpentine, oil of roses."

"But some are not."

"I need silk for stitching."

Robb walked from behind the small table to stand in front of Talisa. He gazed at her face while she spoke.

"I need fennel root for those with fever, willow bark. Mostly I need milk of the poppy. You saw what it was like to amputate a foot without any. I assume there will be more loss of limb before this war is over."

"If you need help finding these-"

"I know where to find them. I'm sorry, I shouldn't interrupt you."

"Continue, my lady."

"You're riding to the Crag to negotiate a surrender?"

"Yes."

"The Crag will have a maester and he will have what I need."

"I expect he will."

"If I could write a list-"

"Come with me to the Crag."

"I don't think that will be-"

"Let the maester show you his stores. I want the wounded men to be treated well, all the wounded men." Robb exited, not giving her a chance to refuse.