CHAPTER 29 | calm before the storm

📎A/N.  Hello my dear friends we meet yet again. :-)  

For those of you who don't know, I did a silly thing and signed up for the Wattpad 30 day Just Write It Challenge.  If you want to check it out the story, it is called 'Chameleon In New York' ... the story is firmly in the romance category, in case you are wondering ;-)

Thanks for your continued support.  And I hope you enjoy this chapter.  If you do, you know the deal .... press that little star :-)

  ❤ ℳ  

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

"So, did you find anything on him?" Kaitlyn asked as she trailed behind Murphy into the house.

They had both agreed that Murphy's place would be a better place to work out of. There was no possibility of being interrupted and being caught working a case they shouldn't.

Murphy put the box he had been carrying down and shook his head. "Nothing, he went straight home after work. About thirty minutes later, he walked down to the corner store for bread and milk. But apart from that, he was at home the entire night."

After their realisation that the Detective knew more than he was letting on, Murphy shadowed Tony from the moment he had left the 115th. He, Tim, and the others were now taking turns to keep tabs on their new lead.

"And did Tim manage to find anything on the grapevine?" Kaitlyn asked as she placed her box next to his.

"His record is spotless and he's generally a well-liked officer. Tim mentioned that there was a nagging suspicion a while back that he was leaking information to various crime syndicates, but nothing came of it," he said.

Kaitlyn headed back out the door, Murphy following shortly after. "Why did they think that?" she asked.

"Well, each time there was a big bust scheduled for some of the major players, they would turn up with a warrant, and the place had already been cleared or, they couldn't find what they were after. Garcia was involved with each of the operations," he replied.

"So our working assumption is that Tony is a dirty cop and on one of the gangs or syndicates payroll?" Kaitlyn mused, thinking out loud, "And through this connection, he knows who Elijah is."

The single nod from her partner indicated this was his assessment as well.

"The question is which one?" Kaitlyn said as she opened the trunk to her car.

"What's all that?" said Murphy, indicating the contents of the back of the car, his tone suddenly turning icy.

Kaitlyn looked down to where he was pointing. "It's extra linen and bedding."

"I agreed to you continuing to work with me," he growled, "not move in."

Kaitlyn threw him a withering glare. "God, you can be such an idiot sometimes," she declared in exasperation, "it's not for me."

Murphy looked at her blankly.

Kaitlyn let out a disgusted snort and rolled her eyes. "Joshua is due back any day, and you have two extras arriving tomorrow. I noticed that the spare room hasn't been set up for them yet."

Murphy froze, his gaze fixed on the laundry basket containing bathroom towels, bedding and other items he could not quite make out.

Not again, Kaitlyn groaned inwardly. Her memory honing in on the last time they had broached his parents visit.

Much to her surprise, Murphy reached into the trunk and yanked out the basket, his typical non-committal grunt his only response. Without a word, he stomped back into the house.