Chapter Forty: It All Runs Together

Leafeon's P.O.V
Its been a week since Nightshade and Rudy came back.

Already, everything is falling apart.

When they returned, Nightshade was in really bad shape but, she wasn't dead.
I was so happy.

Was.

Somehow, Hershel said it was from a hard fall, Nightshade shattered her spinal cord, leading to her being paralyzed from the waist down.

Hershel recommended that Miracle get rid of her now that she can't walk let alone battle.

She got really mad, offended even, and started calling him out for never having faith in anything.

I don't know what it is about Miracle keeping around disabled Pokemon; I can't say I'm upset as most wouldn't have even batted an eye.

Hershel said he admired her loyalty and decided to make a custom Wheelchair for Nightshade all for the low price of $10,000!

She doesn't have that kind money, yet she still agreed.

The race that was coming up next week would give her enough money if she won. August and West suggested that she try and save up money but, she said if her and Rudy train hard enough, they'd be able to win.

But then, Nightshade got ill.

Hershel said she caught it from one of the horses. August quickly debunked it by saying no unhealthy horses would even be allowed to set hoof near the Stables.
'But horses still carry disease that can harm others,' Hershel said.
I'm sure he made August feel really dumb.

With this new sickness quickly taking over, Miracle absolutely had to win that race to be able to pay for that wheelchair, as Nightshade's medicine was so expensive.

Three weeks later and we're still in this mess.

Miracle has to work...her job is picking up horse dung all day because it pays well. Because she's dedicated all hours of the day to scooping up horse poop, she has no time to train for the race.

West and August help her out, though. Although, West is always flirting with her so he never gets anything done, raising August's blood pressure even more.

I'm envious of how optimistic Miracle can be during times like this. She's always smiling and cracking jokes.

I can't even go outside unless Isa tells me to because you never say no to Isa.
I jump at every little sound and the only time I feel safe is when Hau is around.

I hate it.

I hate that without Nightshade I'm nothing but a scared mess

A loud sigh redirects my attention to Hau, Gladion, Lillie and now Miracle, who actually looks like she got some sleep.

Every couple of days, they'll come to the ruined stables and just talk about how their 'missions' have been.

Hau waves at her, "Soooooo? How's it been?"

Miracle rubs her eyes, "Wonderful." She mumbles sarcastically sitting on a hay bale.

Hau frowns, "Aww, I'm sure you've gotten somewhat close-"

"I had to steal the medicine." She says nonchalantly

"Oh."

I crawl out from under the large, broken wagon that I call home, and happily bound over to him, headbutting his legs and purring very loudly.

Hau pats my head, "How's Leafeon been?"

Miracle shrugs"I don't know. She's always hiding."

"Oh..." He picks me up and I lick his nose, "Hmmm, I think she's sad."