Trouble at Home

Feng Yu Heng pocketed the very valuable 20 taels and returned to Xi Ping village. The value of this money was retrieved from a memory belonging to the body's original owner. In a mountain village, a family of three can survive for a month on one tael of silver, thus 20 taels is truly very valuable.

The sky was already quite bright when she reached the village. On her way home, she had picked up plenty of medicinal herbs and mushrooms then wrapped in leaves and vines to carry home. Since she had gone in to the mountains to collect medicinal herbs, it would not do to return empty handed.

Following the path taken in her memories, she headed home. Before she reached her home, loud sounds reverberated. The sounds of a shrill housewife shouting abuse, a child crying, and a woman begging for forgiveness filled the air.

She quickened her pace. As expected, the trouble was at her home.

Xu shi, who had not been burnt to death last night at the mass grave, was dragging a woman by the arm out of the courtyard. On the side, was little boy around five or six years old. He was crying while supporting the woman who had fallen to the ground.

Xu shi deftly kicked the boy away. "Scram! You must move out of this house today. I want to reclaim this house. If you want to continue living here, then you need to pay one year's worth of rent!"

The woman on the ground's body was extremely weak; how could it handle being dragged like this? She curled up on the ground and bitterly begged: "Please wait for our family's A-Heng1 to return. Even if we must move, we need to wait for that child to return!"

"Your family's A-Heng? She ran away long ago! I heard she entered the mountains to pick herbs. She has been gone for two days. If she hasn't run away, then she's been eaten by wolves. What other hopes do you have!"

"My sis won't be eaten by wolves!" The little boy yelled loudly, "My sis won't be eaten by wolves!"

"A-Heng wouldn't leave us behind!" The woman also refuted Xu shi's words. "I beg you wait one more day. One day is enough."

"One day is not ok! I want you to get out!" Xu shi raised her leg, aiming to kick the woman in the chest.

But before her foot could reach its target, a sudden pain sprung forth in her calf. It hurt so bad that she could not stay steady, and she fell on her butt.

The odd happenings of the previous night reverberated in Xu shi's mind, as something similar had just occurred. They were quick and sudden attacks that both hurt and caused her to feel frightened. She couldn't avoid it even if she wanted to.

Xu shi let out a weird "Wa Wa" cry. Her eyes slowly shifted looking out of the courtyard. There she saw the girl that she and her husband had thrown in to the mass grave. She froze in shock, as the girl slowly walked toward her.

"Sister!" Feng Yu Heng had just entered the courtyard, but the little boy dove straight in to her. His face covered in tears, he tightly hugged her. "Sister finally came back. They said you didn't want Rui'er or mother. *sob*..." The child started sobbing. His thing arms wrapped around her body so tightly it hurt a little.

"Rui'er don't worry." She patted his back and lifted his very miserable-looking face and looked him in the eyes. Her heart skipped a beat.

Feng Zi Rui was the brother from the same father and same mother of the body's original owner. But... Why was it that he looked exactly like her little brother who died at the age of six in her previous life?

Feng Yu Heng's heart trembled. Letting down her guard for an instant, her heart ached greatly.

That year, she was ten years old and her little brother was six. That year, he developed a kidney disease. The Feng family was well-known in the field of Chinese medicine. Both their father and grandfather were among the best practitioners of Chinese medicine. But even with these abilities they were immensely proud of, they could not save his life. It was that year that her grandfather allowed her to give up on inheriting the family business to learn Western medicine.