Chapter 8

I shivered as a cold breeze blew. I pulled the blanket tighter around me as I took a bite of my liquorice. "I'm paddling out Coates" Tyler said jogging past us with his board. "I don't know if it's worth it anymore" Eric whimpered as he zipped his wetsuit up. "We drove all the way out here, I'm at least paddling out" Jess said from beside him.

"So I keep thinking that Eric's gonna ask me to prom and he just...doesn't" Angela said from the passenger seat and I looked over to her. This week I had Tyler, Eric and Mike all ask me to prom. I turned them down. "You should ask him" Bella said from beside me. "Take control. You're a strong independent woman" Bella said turning to Angela.

"I am?" Angela said and I smiled. "Yes" Bella said. "Hey will you do me up?" Jess said as she stepped in front of Angela. "Bella!" A guy said as he approached us with his two friends. "Hi, Jacob. Guys this is Jacob" Bella said introducing him to us. "Hey guys how you doing?" Jacob said to all of us. "Hi"Hi" Angela and Jess spoke at the same time.

I climbed out of the van and walked down to the water. I stopped and stared out at the lapping waves. In the dark sand, something white caught my eye. I leaned down and picked it up to see it was a shell. I smiled as a memory flooded my mind.

*Flashback*

I admired the beautiful shell I had found in the shallow part of the ocean. "Mom!" I exclaimed happily as my 9 year old self ran to her as she sat on the towel reading a magazine. "Look what I found!" I said as I made it to her. "Oh my goodness! What a beautiful shell" She said as she looked at it. "I know! I just found it in the water" I said. "Is this one a keeper?" She said with a smile and I nodded eagerly. Mom placed the shell in my jar of shells she pulled from the bag.

*End of flashback*

I sighed as I stared out at the ocean. "You ok?" I heard Angela say and turned to see her beside me with the blanket still wrapped around her. "Yeah. Just remembering is all" I said as I stared back out at the water. "Oh" Angela said as she slightly nodded. "Every summer my mom and I would travel to a beach and it was a new beach every time. Every place we went to I would find a shell and add it to my collection" I explained as I looked back at the shell in my hand.

"That's so sweet" Angela said and gave a small smile. "I would give anything to be back there" I said as I dropped the shell into the sand again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(MONDAY)

I looked around at everyone basking in the rare sun. I sat beside Bella at a table where Jess was sitting as she looked at the sun. One thing I noticed was the entire Cullen family wasn't here. "They're not here" Jess said and Bella and I turned to her. "Whenever the weathers nice the Cullen's disappear" Jess said. "What do they just ditch?" Bella asked.

"No, Dr and Mrs Cullen yank them out for like hiking and camping and stuff. I tried that out on my parents, not even close" Jess said and I rolled my eyes. "Guys! I'm going to the prom with Eric! I just asked him, I took control!" Angela exlcimand happily and I smiled. "I told you that would happen" Bella said as she hugged her.

"Are you sure you have to go out of town?" Angela said as she looked at Bella. "Oh yeah it's a little family thing" Bella said and Angela turned to me. "And what about you Mal? Are you sure you won't come either?" Angela said giving me a pleading look and I shook my head. "Sorry Ange, parties and stuff just aren't my thing" I said.

She sighed and I gave a sad smile. "Ok, we should go shopping in Port Angelas before all the good dresses get cleaned out" Jess said before the school bell rung. I stood up from beside Bella and got my bag. "Port Angeles? Mind if I come?" Bella said. "Yeah me too" I said looking at Jess and Angela. "Yeah I need your opinion" Angela said and I giggled before we walked into school.