Chapter 76

"Mom! Dad! It's Christmas!" Avery exclaimed as she ran into our room. "Merry Christmas baby girl" I said as I gave her a tight hug. "Merry Christmas princess. Lets go open some presents and then head to grandpa and grandmas yeah?" Emmett said with a smile and Avery nodded before we all headed downstairs to the living room. 

After unwrapping our gifts and getting changed we made our way to the house. We walked inside where everyone was and Avery instantly ran to Carlisle and Esme who embraced her showing them her new boots she had gotten for Christmas. I walked over to the window as Emmett talked with Rosalie and looked at the snow sticking to the ground. 

I felt my stomach clench at the thought of the upcoming battle. "You noticed it too?" I heard Rosalie say and turned to see her standing beside me. "Yeah" I said as I looked back out into the woods. "Try not to think about it too much. You still have today" Rose said kindly and I smiled at her. I walked over to Emmett and wrapped my arms around his waist as he wrapped his arms around me. 

I laid my head on his chest as we watched Avery unwrap her presents from Esme and Carlisle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night was the night before battle and we had set up camp near the clearing where it would commence. Emmett and I watched our daughter as she and Renesmee played with Ben. He created shapes and animals out of sand, fire etc. "It's crazy to think that a year ago, I was this human who only wanted to be with you and only you forever and now here we are with a daughter" I said to Emmett as he wrapped his arm around my waist. 

"I know. We did good" Emmett replied. "I can't even want to imagine life without her. The thought of losing her terrifies me" I said as I crossed my arms over my chest. "Hey, no one said anything about dying" Emmett said gently as he pulled me closer. "I know I just can't help thinking about it. The Volturi are unpredictable. Anything could happen" I said. 

Avery ran over and I smiled. "Time for bed kiddo" I said and she nodded before quickly saying goodnight to everyone. Avery ran over to the Denali's giving each one of them a hug before going to the Irish coven bidding them goodnight. As she walked over to Benjamin he created some birds made of sand and they twirled around Avery's head before disappearing and she giggled before hugging him and Tia. 

Avery then ran over Senna and Zafrina before moving along to our family. Esme gave her a tight hug before Rosalie bent down wrapping her arms around Avery. Damon picked Avery up twirling her around and tickling her under her chin before placing her down. Carlisle gave her a hug and she finally ran over to Bella, Edward and Renesmee. 

She gave Bella and Edward a hug before wrapping her arms around Renesmee. The bond the two of them shared was adorable. They were best friends and like sisters which made me happy. Avery then walked over to us and gave Embry a hug as he stood beside me. "Goodnight Emmy" She said as he picked her up. 

"Night Avery. I'll see you in the morning" Embry said before placing her down. She turned to Emmett and he wrapped her in a tight hug. "Good night daddy. I love you" She said. "Good night my angel. I love you too. Sweet dreams" Emmett said before placing her down. I opened the tent flap and she crawled in. I came in after her and zipped it shut behind us. 

Avery snuggled up to me and I stroked her hair. "I have one more present for you" I said before pulling out a box from the backpack. I handed it to Avery and she opened it revealing a large locket. 

"This has been in your dads family for a very long time and it used to belong to your grandma who you're named after with your middle name, Anne" I said and she opened it revealing a picture of Emmett and I at our wedding

"This has been in your dads family for a very long time and it used to belong to your grandma who you're named after with your middle name, Anne" I said and she opened it revealing a picture of Emmett and I at our wedding. I had my hands on his chest as he was pressing his lips to my forehead. "Sarò sempre con te. This means I will always be with you. It's something my mom always used to say to me" I said and she looked up at me. 

"Baby, I need to tell you something. Tomorrow Embry's going to take you somewhere" I said gently and I watched her face contort in confusion. "Why?" She asked. "To keep you safe and protected" I replied as I stroked her head. "Will you and daddy be with us?" Avery asked and I bit my bottom lip as I shook my head. Tears instantly filled her eyes and my heart knotted in guilt. 

"Hey, it's going to be alright" I said as I pulled her into my lap holding her as she buried her head into my chest. "We'll be together again. I promise" I said as I held her tightly.