Chapter 72

"Avery, honey, it's time to wake up" I whispered as I gently ran my fingers though Avery's hair and I watched as her eyes fluttered open. "Morning mommy" She said sleepily as she rubbed her eyes and I smiled. "Morning baby, I've laid your clothes out for you and daddy is cooking your breakfast" I said and Avery nodded as she sat up.

I heard a knock at the door and stood up. "Mommy just has to go answer the door, come out when you're finished getting dressed" I said before kissing her cheek and leaving her room. I walked to the front door and opened it revealing Embry with his backpack. "Hey Embry" I greeted as I let him into the house.

"Hey Mal. Avery awake yet?" Embry asked as I closed the door behind him and I nodded. "She's getting dressed" I replied and Embry nodded. After a few moments Avery skipped out of her room and ran straight to Embry. "Here we are, scrambled eggs" Emmett said as he served a plate of food in front of Avery.

She finished within a few minutes and I grabbed our stuff before we walked to the Cullen house. "Alright, lets get this show on the road" Jake said when I looked out the window and saw Sam Uley waiting outside. "Girls, stay here" I said to Renesmee and Avery before we all made our way outside. "Hello Sam" Carlisle greeted.

"Carlisle. I have a message for you" Sam replied handing Carlisle a folded piece of paper. "Alice asked me to give you that. She and Jasper crossed our lands to the ocean last night" Sam explained as Carlisle read the note. "Carlisle?" Esme questioned as everyone waited for him to say something. "They've left us" Carlisle said and my eyes widened slightly, in shock.

"Why?" Rosalie asked. "She didn't say" Carlisle replied. "Can I see that?" Bella asked and Carlisle handed her the note. I walked over and read along with her what it said. Gather as many witnesses as you can before the snow sticks to the ground. That's when they'll come. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion.

Why would she and Jasper leave at the time we needed them most? It didn't make sense. After Sam left, everyone made their way to their cars. I buckled Avery into her booster seat before climbing into the passenger seat of our black Range Rover. Embry and Emmett climbed into the car before we left beginning our drive to the airport to fly to Alaska.

I heard as Embry and Avery began playing eye spy as we drove. Emmett held my hand over the console, caressing my knuckles. "You ok?" Emmett said lowly and I nodded. "I'm just worrying about their reactions to the girls you know. And I can't wrap my head around why Alice and Jasper just...left. I don't get it" I replied.

"Yeah I don't know why either. But it must be for a good reason because they've never left like this before" Emmett said and I nodded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After landing in Alaska, we began the drive to the Denali's house. As we drove through the mountains, my anxiety grew. We made it to the house pulling into the driveway. Emmett limbed out of the car along with Edward. "Edward, Emmett is everything alright? Why didn't you tell us you were coming?" Tanya asked. "Is it Irina? Have you heard from her?" Kate asked.

"Not directly" Edward said as they approached the family. "Why are you brides waiting in the car?" Eleazar asked. "And why have you brought wolves with you? I can smell them from here" Kate said in disgust. "Our family's in danger and we need your help" Emmett stated. "What's happened?" Carmen asked, concern lacing her voice.

"It's hard to explain but I need you to be open minded. Can you do that?" Edward asked. "Of course" Tanya replied. Emmett turned to me giving me a small nod. I looked into the backseat at Avery. "Alright baby, we're going to meet some new people ok?" I said and she nodded. "Will they hurt me?" Avery asked, a small ounce of fear in her voice.

"No" I said reassuring her and she nodded before we climbed out of the car. As the family laid eyes on the girls, they gasped as they withdrew in fear. "The Volturi will come for all of us!" Kate said. "You get those things out of here!" Tanya spat. "They're not what they look like" Emmett said trying to reassure them. "This is a crime!" Tanya exclaimed before attacking Edward.

Emmett threw her off when Kate grabbed both of them beginning to electrocute them. I rushed to Emmetts side and grabbed Kate's wrist. She grabbed my arm electrocuting me when her power stopped. Shock and confusion crossed her face before I grabbed her by her neck and threw her to the ground. They went to charge again when I stood in front of Emmett and Edward.

"Touch my husband again and it'll be the last thing you do trust me!" I spat angrily as I glared at the two. "They have blood in their veins. You can feel their warmth" Emmett said as he pulled me back slightly. "I can feel it" Carmen said. "Emmett and I are their biological fathers. Bella and Malory are their mothers" Edward said.

"Impossible" Kate said in disbelief. "It's true. They were born while we were still human" Bella said as she appeared beside Edward. "I've never heard of such a thing" Eliza said. "They can show you if you let them" I said before turning to Embry. He picked Avery up and he and Jacob walked over with the girls.

"Tanya, Kate, you owe us this much. We're all under a death sentence because your sister didn't let us explain" Emmett said. Embry made it to us and Emmett took Avery from him. He cautiously approached Kate. "Don't be afraid. You just have to look into her eyes. She projects her thoughts onto you without having to touch you" I said and Kate looked at Avery, her eyes clouding over for a few moments.

"It's true" Tanya and Kate said in unison as they turned to Carmen and Eleazar. "They're not immortal" Tanya said. I felt relieved but at the same time worried. I knew that the rest of our family and friends would face the same fears. The fear of the unknown, the fear of what will happen. All we we can do is hope.