Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"Daddy, can you help me color?" My son's voice spoke as he determinedly scribbled on the now colorful paper.

I gave him an apologetic smile, pushing the blue prints away from me and bending down to ruffle his dark curly hair.

"I'm sorry babe, not today okay. Daddy has to finish up his work," I said, a guilty feeling squeezing at my heart. 

The little boys flushed chubby cheeks and bright blue eyes suddenly rose up. "But I need help daddy," He suddenly raised the paper up showing me his creation. "See daddy I tried to make a rainbow but..." He gave the drawing a pout as if disappointed at his work.

I chuckled. My resolve already disappearing as I got out the chair and walked over to him, hefting his four year old body off the ground and into my arms. I then turned to blow bubbles on his neck, drawing squeaky giggles from his lips.

"Daddy stop it!" He wiggled profusely in my arms, trying to retreat from the onslaught.

I moved my lips from his neck and gave him an innocent smile. "What? You don't like my kisses?"

"No, they tickle."

I smacked a kiss on his cheek. " What about that kiss? You like that one?" 

He gave me a almost toothless grin, flushed apple cheeks and all. "That's better, daddy."

I was making silly faces at him when suddenly the front door slammed open and Jason tall and broad frame came rushing through, a panicked look on his face.

"What-"

"Papa!"

"Get him dressed and go pack a suitcase, we gotta go now. We gotta leave."

My eyes widened as my heart picked up pace in fear. "What the hell are you talking about Jason, I-"

 "GET FUCKING PACKED RILEY! HE'S COMING, WE NEED TO GO!" Jason bellowed, grabbing a suitcase and throwing multiple sets of clothes into it.

I felt my son jump in my arms. "Papa, don't yell at daddy!" He yelled and I carefully placed him down, walking over to Jason.

"Jason what the hell is going on?" 

"Riley, I can't explain right now. Mt father-"  He started but then there was a loud crash and I watched slowly as the window crashed into tiny pieces and something smacked straight into my chest.

Then came the pain that spanned and radiated my whole body.

I heard screaming and crying. I didn't know if it was from me or from my son. I looked down dumbfounded at my chest to see a pool of blood stained on my shirt. I looked up into my husbands eyes and gave him a pained look.

"RILEYY!" He bellowed.

Then there was nothing.

I didn't know I was screaming until I felt a shift on the bed as thick and strong arms made their way around my chest.

"Riley, Riley. Wake up baby," I continued screaming, thrashing my arms and feet as I tried to wake up.

Red. Blood. Death. It was all that was screaming in my head and it felt as if my body was awake but my mind wasn't. I felt the tears trailing streams down my face as I clutched tight onto the firm body and screamed until my voice was too hoarse to go on.