22: dean

I'm scared shitless. Lacey's parents are important to her and I have no idea what to expect from a seemingly normal parent child relationship. What do I know? My mom left when I was six and my dad spent more nights at work than at home. I was practically raised by a nanny before I went to boarding school.

I feel like a girl right now because I've changed my clothes three different times before Linc came and yelled at me for stressing out too much. I'm doing meet the parents for a girl that happens to be my best friend. Not stressful at all.

Cassidy moved into Lacey's apartment yesterday and I finally got a good night's sleep in my own bed. I'm happy to help Cass out, but I really missed my bed.

I went and picked out a new car after shift yesterday so I'm now the proud owner of a convertible BMW after trading in my Corvette. I don't want anything to do with the car or Maddox.

I'd been doing everything possible to avoid him and Paige. Maddox came here drunk a few days ago looking for Cass and thankfully she was with Sephine and Tessa. I had no problem kicking him out because she deserves so much better than him.

I finished tying my tie and I've tried to tame my curls into looking somewhat presentable. I'm ditching my usual leather jacket to wear a suit jacket, coincidentally the same one I wore to the charity gala Cass and I fought at.

There's a short knock on my door before it opens immediately and I turn expecting it to be Linc or Cass. It can't be Lacey because I'm supposed to pick her and her parents up from her apartment.

"Hi," Paige says hesitantly and I freeze. "Don't get mad at Linc, I kinda pushed past him. I knew you wouldn't let me in if it was me."

I'm at a loss for words because I can't believe she'd show up here. "You're right. I wouldn't have let you in. Go away Paige, I don't have time for you and your drama tonight."

"I want to apologize and explain."

"Explain what? How we were pretty much in a relationship and then you fucked my brother?" I say bluntly trying not to let my temper get the best of me for once. I'm not letting Paige ruin tonight by putting me in a shitty mood.

She crosses her arms over her chest, "That's the thing Dean. We weren't actually in a relationship because you wouldn't commit to one. You have no idea how sorry I am that I slept with Maddox, but I can't do anything to change it. I want to be with you and that's all I came to tell you."

I grab my wallet off the bedside table, "I'm not sorry to tell you that I don't know if I'll be able to get over this. I trusted you and you broke it. I have to get going and I don't think I need to say that you're not welcome to stay."

"You're right. I did break your trust, please tell me what I need to do to fix this." Paige says stepping closer to me in my personal space.

"You're going to have to give me time." I say, brushing past her to leave. Linc is sitting on the couch looking quite guilty and I give him a look, "Really? You couldn't keep her out?"

Paige must be standing behind me because he glances over my shoulder, "Sorry man, but she was a marine. She'd totally kick my ass if I tried to stand in her way."

"Weak," I scoff, grabbing my keys off the counter. "I'll be back later, I don't know if Cass is coming over or not but try not to be a jerk if she does."

I ignore Paige as we unfortunately have to go down the elevator together and I get into my car without another word. My nerves are slowly starting to get the better of me as I start to think about how tonight can either go really well or really bad. Hoping for really well but I also know how shitty my luck can be.