04: lacey

Once I got over the shock of him driving a Corvette and the way his blue eyes popped with his light blue button-down, I felt like myself with him. He has this peaceful presence to him that makes me feel at ease. Even with the prospect of meeting his family tonight.

"Thank you again for coming tonight. You're saving me from Sephine and Cassidy trying to set me up with people they know. They don't quite believe that I'm content single, even though I am." He admits, turning onto a side street.

I play with the bottom of my dress, "So am I a friend or a pretend girlfriend?"

He glances over at me, "Friend. The pretend girlfriend thing might have worked out for my cousin and his wife, but I prefer to be the first to have a normal relationship. I'll meet someone when it's the right time, but I'm also banking on the idea that me bringing someone new will satisfy them to the point where they back off for a bit."

I stare at him in shock, "What do you mean the first to have a normal relationship?"

"My family has a track record of making things incredibly difficult on themselves. Intentional or not, we have kind of a bad track record."

I'm still not following, but I don't think he wants to go in depth or he would have by now. "I'm sorry to hear that, I bet they're all really nice."

Dean genuinely smiles, "They're all incredible people and I love them more than anything. It just hasn't been an easy road to get here."

"I bet. My family is all back in Virginia, along with a good chunk of my friends. The last few weeks have been kinda hard only communicating with them over the phone." I respond, sharing a bit about myself. I miss them, but this is something I needed to do for myself.

"And how has that been going?" He asks curiously causing me to giggle.

"Well just look at how I met you and I think that answers your question."

The smile he gives me is heart stopping. "I wouldn't call it terrible. You seem pretty cool, so I can't consider it a solely bad thing."

I pull my braid over my shoulder to mess with it, "I think you should pay attention to the road before we crash."

He rolls his eyes, "You're being dramatic. I'm a great driver. But I've been spending way too much time with the guys at the house since my best friend decided to move out and live with my brother. This is refreshing already. I think Cass would kill me if I brought Linc tonight."

"Hold on, I'm a bit confused on a few things. Your best friend is dating your brother, and you think this Cassidy person will be more relieved you brought someone you hardly know to whatever tonight is?" I'm starting to get a little skeptical about tonight. I mean yes, Dean is nice, but I feel like I'm way out of my league right now.

"And I'm definitely ready to learn more about you. Sorry, Cassidy is my best friend who also dating my brother. She helped me get on my feet again after my dad cut me off, and is kind of the whole reason I applied to the fire academy. If it wasn't for her, I'd be stuck in some stuffy suit at the family company. She's also been great for Maddox." Dean admits proudly, and I'm really glad I said yes to tonight. So far, everything has been a breeze. I've got a few questions, but I'm hoping they will be answered as the night goes on.

Until we pull up to a townhouse with cars parked in front of it that cost more than I could possibly add up in my head. He really wasn't kidding about his car being nothing compared to these. Dean doesn't even seem phased and now I'm back to second guessing my decision to wear a skirt and sweater. I'm sure I'll be way underdressed if this is the house we're at.