31: dean

Xavier was telling me the story of how he first met Lacey in elementary school and how Ruth had pushed him off the monkey bars. Ruth and Lacey were a few years younger than him and Xavier had cut them in line for the monkey bars, so she pushed him off. Lacey went to make sure he was okay even though he had cut in front of them and it sounds exactly like the Lacey I know.

I hope she likes her surprise party. I knew that bringing Ruth here would be the best present, I just wasn't sure if she would enjoy having everyone else here. I had to coordinate this with so many people, including Grayson who gave her the day off.

I wonder where she is? Last I saw, she was talking to Jonah and Vince but I haven't seen her in a few minutes. I scan over the crowd trying to spot the curls she's sporting tonight but I don't see them until I look down the hallway leading to the bedrooms and the bathroom.

It looks like she's coughing? Boo is right next to her and I stop listening to what Xavier is saying when Lacey looks up, making eye contact with me as she grabs at her chest and a horrible cry escapes her mouth.

I move in slow motion compared to her mom and Ruth who come flying out of nowhere. I'm snapped back into motion when Ruth tries to hold her up and I quickly push past people to take her place.

"Where are your pills?" Her mom keeps asking and I hold onto her with everything I have. Her hand has wrapped around my arm, but I don't even think she realizes she's holding onto me. There's tears streaming down her cheeks and Ruth has stepped away calling someone on her phone.

I don't understand? "Lacey where are the pills?" Her mom asks sternly and Lacey struggles to breathe. I don't know how to help.

She finally mutters a short response, "Pills are in purse. In Dean's car. Please, make it stop." Lacey pleads and her mom turns onto me quickly.

"Give me your car keys now."

I fumble in my front pocket where I know I left it as I try to hold onto Lacey before handing them to her quickly. Lacey is letting out short gasps and I feel so helpless. I try to take her pulse, but it can't be right? Her heart can't be beating that fast. That would mean-

Ruth crouches down in front of Lacey, trying to get her attention. "Lace please you need to stay calm. The ambulance is on it's way and your mom will be right back with your pills."

"What are you talking about? What pills does she need?" I ask and I feel like that's the first time Ruth has even noticed I'm supporting Lacey while she cries out in pain again.

Her face turns sympathetic and I want to know why the fuck she's looking at me that way. I want to know why Lacey is in so much pain and I want to know how to help.

"She's having a heart attack. She needs nitroglycerine, it'll help."

After that, everything is blur. Her mom and Ruth ride with Lacey to the hospital while her dad makes calls. Xavier is talking to Linc who looks absolutely floored right now. Pretty much everyone left after the ambulance left. I'm trying to figure out why the fuck Lacey is having a heart attack at twenty-four, and why her parents and Ruth weren't even surprised it was happening.

They knew exactly what to do and I-I had no idea that anything was even wrong.

Was there something we did today that caused this? We had sex this morning and we walked around Central Park with Boo, but the pancakes I made this morning wouldn't have given her a heart attack?

I need to get to her and make sure she's okay. That's all that matters right now. I'll learn the why's later.

Grayson rests a hand on my shoulder as I grab a few things together and I didn't even realize he was still here. "Do you need a ride to the hospital?"