14: lacey

Dean had woken me up when he and Linc had to go to work. It was a good thing they did because I needed to get home to say goodbye to Ruth before she left. On top of that, I still had to go to work today. However, I would have preferred they didn't wake me up at two a.m. but it was nice to sleep in my own bed after all the puking I did.

I've been avoiding thinking about last night because I know I said some very questionable things to Dean, not to mention he saw my scar which opens up Pandora's box. Oh and I threw up in front of the guy after he saw me in only jeans and a bra. Why the hell do people drink for fun?

Ruth was in better spirits before she left which I couldn't say for myself thanks to the tremendous hangover I had. I've been sluggish all day. I also wasn't prepared for the conversation Grayson and I had today.

"Lacey can you come in here please?" Grayson called out, and I stood up slowly trying to run all the paperwork I've done in the last week I could have potentially messed up. I don't think I've messed anything up though because I make a conscious effort to double check everything before I give it to Grayson.

"Whats up?" I ask trying to maintain the smile on my face.

He looks up from his computer and shuts it, "I just wanted to run something by you and see if you would be interested."

I relax a little, taking a seat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. "Sure."

"I know I told you that I only needed your help for six weeks, but Marcie asked if her maternity leave could be extended another four months. You've been doing a great job and you work hard so I thought I would check with you to see if you could stay longer. I understand if that's too much because I don't know what your plans are, but you've been doing a great job."

First, the shock hits me. Then its excitement. The final emotion is dismay. Four months is a long time. This was supposed to be temporary. Temporary. Everything is temporary.

"Lacey?" He prods, waiting for an answer and I try to articulate the right words so he doesn't think I'm ungrateful for the chance he's given me by allowing me to work here.

"Um, Mr. Taylor, I am so thankful for the opportunity to work here. I wish I could stay until Marcie is ready to come back, but the longest I can stay is two more months. I'm sorry." My hands are shaking from where I have them clasped together and I can see the confusion on his face. Then, he laughs.

"First of all, I don't think I've ever heard you call me Mr. Taylor. Second of all, you don't need to call me Mr. Taylor. I thought we were on a first name basis. Is there anyway I can persuade you to change your mind? I'd hate to lose you and I know that Will's secretary is looking to retire soon. I'm be happy to recommend you for the position."

I can't help the smile that appears on my face because it's always nice to get validation that I'm doing a good job here. "I'm sorry Grayson, I'm afraid the longest I can stay is two months."

Grayson smiles sadly at me, "I do hope I can change your mind."

"Is that all you needed? I do need to get back to filing the paperwork for the motion you filled out earlier."

"Actually, Tessa got tickets to a new exhibit at the Met. It's just a small event that's an excuse to dress up and she told me to give you a ticket and a plus one. She says I'm working you too hard."

I stammer out a quick response because that's another thing I didn't expect him to say. "Thank you."