23: lacey

Dean was right. This was a good surprise. He's had a pretty good streak going, not that I'd explicitly tell him that. I steal a glance at him from where he sits on my right. He cleans up nicely, wearing a navy suit that brings out the color in his eyes and he's tried to tame his hair. He really made an effort tonight.

I can tell that my dad is both confused and impressed by him. All the questions about the car and New York. He's fishing for information trying to figure out who Dean is to me.

My mom is absolutely smitten with him and his manners just like I knew she would be. Dean's turned on the charm.

This is what the world he is trying to leave behind looks like. It's lavish and beautiful, but it's also extremely impersonal. Everyone else in this restaurant looks like they're merely tolerating other people's company. I get why he doesn't want to be a part of it. However, the fact that he brought us here means the world.

Cass totally knew we were coming here. I knew she was in on the plan tonight when she offered to let me borrow her dress; it's a little shorter on me than it would be on her because I'm a little taller than she is, but it's a beautiful dress. I love that it also covers my scar. I don't like showing it because I hate to have it out, flaunting the fact that no matter how many temporary fixes I have, it doesn't matter.

"So how did the two of you meet?" Mom asks smiling brightly at him. Usually that smile is only reserved for me and Ruth. Guess Dean is included in our little posse now.

"It was that fire I was in at my old job; not a big deal at all." I say quickly and Dean gives me a weird look.

"Lace I carried you out of a burning building; you almost-" I reach under the table and pinch his leg hard trying to get him to stop talking. I didn't tell them how if Dean hadn't found me I would have probably died.

"She almost what?" Dad asks, looking at me with an expecting look.

"I almost broke my ankle, but I was fine." I say and that's when I realize that my hand is still on Dean's thigh. I remove it hastily trying to get the blush on my cheeks under control because I probably shouldn't leave my hand there.

"Is that true Dean? You carried Lacey out of a burning building that she happened to omit from when she explained how she went to the hospital for an ankle injury." My mom asks, staring pointedly at him and I can see his mind moving a mile minute. He looks very unsure of what to say.

"Uh, I think I want to stay out of this." He says tapping his fingers on his knee rapidly.

I shake my head, "No. You don't get to ask him about that because all Dean did was save me. I might have downplayed the extent of what happened because I don't want you to worry more than you already do."

Mom stares at me in shock now and I brace myself for all the yelling that I'm hoping they won't do in this really really nice restaurant that has the best food I think I've ever tasted. "Thank you for saving her."

Well that wasn't what I expected her to say. Dad looks quite shocked as well and he takes a sip of his wine.

"It's no problem at all. I like to think I gained a lot that day," He says, taking a drink of his water.

I look at him, carefully noting the difference in his words than usual. Dean's typically a flirty guy, I've gotten used to it. I mean the nickname Barbie should say something.

He's not confusing this for something else is he?

Another course later, my mom asks the question I know she's been waiting all night to ask. "Dean, are you seeing anyone right now?"