28: lacey

"Lacey," Dean says softly, nudging me awake. I slowly open my eyes to find Dean's turnout coat draped over me as a blanket.

"Did I fall asleep?" I ask yawning, and he chuckles.

Dean offers me a hand to help pull me up. "You did but it's fine. You didn't miss anything. We probably need to check on Boo."

I look over to see who else is here and Paige is asleep in a chair separate from everyone else. Hayes is asleep in his chair too and Sephine is on the phone with someone.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay?" I ask, standing up and fixing my hat.

He smiles and drapes his arm around my back, "No. You're exhausted and I'd feel better knowing that you slept in your own bed opposed to a stiff hospital chair. Plus I miss my dog."

I shake my head slowly, "He's my dog too. You make a solid argument, I miss my bed."

There's a cab waiting for us outside and I can't help but close my eyes again and lean onto Dean. "Thank you for being there. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to talk to Chase today."

"He knows," I mumble, thinking of the way he looked at us earlier.

"When did you talk to him?"

I don't really want to talk about this right now. I just want to sleep and be held. "He brought me to the hospital. Chase saw us. I didn't have to tell him, he knew."

"I'll talk to him tomorrow. I need to go to the station anyway to get my car and I'll stop by his apartment after. Jonah and the Chief are probably going to fire me, but I don't regret anything I did today."

This is enough to keep me from completely falling asleep, "Why would he fire you?"

Dean chuckles, causing my head to bounce slightly from where it rests on his shoulder. "I don't like to follow rules. It gets me in trouble quite a bit, but up until today the last time I broke a rule was when I saved you."

I lift my head up, looking at him through my sleep-laden eyes. "What rule did you break with me?"

"We're not supposed to take our mask off under any circumstances when we're on a scene. You couldn't breathe because of all the smoke so I took mine off. Lieutenant laid into me because he'd lost his best friend to a fire where he gave away his gas mask. But I don't regret it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat."

"Who knew you'd turn into such a sap once we started kissing." I tease and Dean stares at me with those beautiful eyes and his charming smile.

He lowers his voice so that the driver can't hear, "I plan on doing a lot more than kissing you I hope you know. After I get that ridiculous hat off your head though."

I know my cheeks are flaming red right now because how else are you supposed to react to that. So I ignore the first part of what he said, "You don't like my hat?"

"No, I really do not like your hat. It hides over half your face."

When we get back to my apartment, I find Boo laying on the couch and the light in Cassidy's room is peeking through from under the door. "You should go talk to her. I need to let Boo out," I suggest and Dean nods.

"Will you be okay to take him out yourself?"

I roll my eyes, "What do you think I did by myself the week you avoided me. I'll be fine but Cass needs you right now, not me." Cassidy and I are friends, but I don't know her that well. She needed a place to stay and I needed a roommate after Quinn left because of Boo. Dean is her best friend and what she needs right now.